Updated · Nov 28, 2022
How to Cancel Kindle Unlimited [Step-by-Step Guide]
Updated · Oct 13, 2022
Kindle Unlimited is a convenient way to get access to great ebooks and audiobooks from Amazon.
However, if you're unhappy with the subscription, or it no longer fits your budget, and you want to know how to cancel Kindle Unlimited, we have you covered.
Below, you'll find the steps you need to take.
How to Cancel Kindle Unlimited from Your Kindle Account?
The fastest way is to go directly to your Kindle account and manage your membership from there.
Open your preferred web browser and follow these steps:
- Navigate to your Kindle account page, where you'll see an overview of your subscription, including the next charge date.
- Go through the options and click "Manage Your Kindle Unlimited Membership."
- At the bottom of the page, on the left, you'll see the "Cancel Kindle Unlimited Membership" button.
- You'll be taken to a new page, asking whether you are sure you want to end your subscription. If you are, click "Cancel Membership."
After the termination, you can still enjoy the service until the last day of the billing cycle.
Via Desktop App
Unfortunately, you can't directly end your subscription from the Kindle desktop app.
Instead, you can click the "Kindle Store" button in the top right corner of the app. That will open your account page in the browser, and you should follow the previously-outlined steps.
How to Cancel Kindle Unlimited from Your Amazon Account?
An alternative way to end your membership is directly from your Amazon account page.
If you prefer to use a web browser, all you have to do is:
- Log in to your Amazon profile and hover over the "Accounts & Lists" tab at the top right corner.
- Under the "Your Account" heading, you'll find the "Kindle Unlimited" link in the middle of the drop-down menu. Press it, and it'll open an overview of your subscription.
- In the left-hand corner, you will see the "Cancel Kindle Unlimited Membership" button.
4. Clicking that will take you to a new page, asking whether you are sure you want to end the subscription. Confirm by pressing "Cancel Membership."
That's all you need to do to cancel a Kindle subscription.
It's also effortless to manage your membership via the Amazon mobile app for Android or iOS.
1. Open the app, sign in, and tap the account icon at the bottom of the screen.
2. Now, tap the "Your Account" button at the top of the screen.
3. Swipe down until you reach the "Account Settings" heading and press "Memberships and Subscriptions."
4. Go to "Kindle Unlimited Settings" under the "Kindle Unlimited" heading.
5. You'll find your subscription overview, including the next charge date. Find the Kindle "Membership Cancel" button and tap on it.
6. You'll be taken to a new page, asking whether you are sure you want to end your subscription. Press "Continue to cancel."
7. You may receive a special offer to keep your subscription at this stage. If you still want to proceed, tap the final "Cancel membership" button.
Note: You can also easily terminate the subscription via your mobile web browser by following the same steps as for desktop browsers.
How to Confirm the Cancelation?
If you're not sure and want to check if you managed to cancel your Kindle subscription, you can do the following:
Go to Kindle Unlimited Account Page
Follow the above-outlined steps to access your Kindle Unlimited account page. Once there, check the left-hand side for an overview of your subscription.
If it's canceled, you should see the end date and the message: "After that, your books will be returned. You can restart your membership at any time."
Check Your Email
If you successfully terminate a Kindle subscription, Amazon will send a confirmation email to the address associated with the profile.
Unless you have blocked Amazon from contacting you, you should be able to find the message in your inbox easily. You'll also find a link in the email to renew your subscription.
What Happens When You Cancel Kindle Unlimited?
When you end a Kindle Unlimited membership, the books you borrowed will be returned at the end of the billing period. You'll no longer have access to them afterward.
As we mentioned above, you can terminate your subscription at any point during the ongoing billing cycle, and you'll have full access to the service until that period ends. You can find the end date on your account page and the cancellation confirmation email.
Is There a Refund?
No, unsubscribing from Kindle Unlimited doesn't give you a refund.
That's because you pay for a month in advance. i.e., you’re charged immediately on the day you subscribe for the next 30 days.
Cancellation still keeps your membership active for the remaining period, even if you don't intend to benefit from it.
How to Renew Kindle Unlimited?
Now you know how to stop a Kindle Unlimited subscription, but what if you want to renew it?
During cancellation, Amazon gives you several opportunities to continue your membership. However, if you’ve completed the process, you'll need to subscribe anew.
If you are still within your membership period, i.e., you have canceled but still have some days left, it only takes a few clicks to do so.
- Follow the previously-explained steps to access your account page and manage your Kindle Unlimited membership.
- On the left-hand side, you'll find the overview of your subscription with the end date. Look for the button "Continue Kindle Unlimited Membership."
- Hit the button, and it'll take you to a new page to confirm your renewal.
Your subscription will now continue on the same billing cycle as before. i.e., you'll be charged on the same billing date as prior to cancellation.
If your membership has completely ended, you can still start it again. However, you'll be billed like a new customer on the date you do so.
Kindle and Amazon offer a great service for all book lovers out there. For less than $10 a month, you get access to millions of titles with a simple mouse click.
However, if you try it and decide it's not for you, it's best to know how to cancel a Kindle Unlimited subscription.
As you can see, the steps outlined above are quite simple, so it'll take no time or effort. And if you ever decide to go back, renewal is just as easy.
A qualified journalist and longtime web content writer, Keelan has a passion for exploring information and learning new things. If he's not writing or pushing his own brands, you'll find him watching pro wrestling or trying not to rant about politics online.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.