Updated · Nov 29, 2022
How To Change Twitter Handle?
Updated · Oct 13, 2022
How To Change Your Twitter Handle in 2022
A Twitter handle is the username that appears after the @ symbol. It belongs only to your account and makes it distinctive from others.
If you want to know how to change a Twitter handle, look no further.
We’ll guide you through all the steps in detail.
Why Change Your Twitter Handle?
Common reasons why you’d want to use a new username:
- You want it to match your other social media accounts.
- Your username has to be more relevant to your business.
- The current handle doesn’t look that appealing to you anymore.
- It doesn’t help your account grow.
If you already have a decent number of followers, inform them that a username change is coming. It’ll spare them the confusion when having to mention or DM you in the future.
How To Change Your Twitter Handle
You can easily alter a Twitter handle, but it has to be something unique that nobody else uses.
Twitter username key attributes:
- You need the handle to sign into your profile.
- It appears when you write comments or direct messages.
- It corresponds to your profile URL.
- People find you by it.
You can change @ on Twitter from a desktop or mobile device.
Let’s see how:
On the Web
If you feel more comfortable doing so through a desktop browser, you’ll have to follow these simple steps:
- Open Twitter.com and sign in.
- Click on More on the left-side menu.
- Go to Settings and privacy.
- Tap on Your account.
- Press Account information.
- Type your Twitter password to proceed further.
- Select Username.
- Type in your new username in the field (Twitter will provide alternatives if it’s taken).
- Click Save.
Twitter statistics reveal that 80% of all social media network visits come from mobile phones.
So if you prefer to edit your Twitter handle from the app, let us guide you through the steps:
- Launch the Twitter app.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Navigate to Settings and privacy.
- Select Your account.
- Go to Account information.
- Tap on Username.
- Change the handle with an available one.
- Press Save.
The process is the same for iOS and Android devices.
On Mobile Web
Twitter has a mobile version that you can access from a browser on your smartphone or tablet. It resembles the desktop site but is adjusted for mobile devices.
Here’s how to edit a Twitter username on a mobile browser:
- Type mobile.twitter.com in your mobile browser.
- Log into your account.
- Click on More from the navigation bar.
- Select Settings and privacy.
- Go to Your account.
- Tap on Account information.
- You have to enter your Twitter password on the next screen.
- Press in the Username field and type your new handle.
- Choose Save.
Note: If you want to change your name on Twitter, you should follow a different procedure. The name is also referred to as the display name on Twitter, and it’s not the same as the username/handle.
Before you’re allowed to add a display name, you’d have to upload a profile and a header picture.
Follow these steps to change your name on Twitter:
- Go to Twitter.com or the app.
- Log into your profile.
- Tap on the Edit profile button.
- Select the Name field to edit it.
- Press Save.
The display name cannot be longer than fifty characters.
What about the username? Let’s check:
Twitter Handle Rules
Twitter has specific rules about the handle setup you’re bound to follow. They are also valid when changing it.
Here are the top five rules and tips for changing a Twitter username:
- You cannot use Twitter or Admin in your handle.
- Your username must be between four and fifteen characters.
- You cannot use the handle of a suspended or deactivated account.
- The handle must contain only letters, numbers, and underscores.
- Use underscore as an alternative when trying to change Twitter @ into something unavailable, e.g., @_yourself or @yourself_
When choosing a Twitter username, stick to short and easy-to-remember handles. Moreover, there’s no limit on how often you can change it.
Remember to sign into your account at least once in six months to avoid permanent termination due to inactivity.
If for any reason, you want to delete your Twitter account, this guide can help you.
You can modify your Twitter username as many times as you wish, as long as you adhere to the rules we mentioned above.
Now that you know how to change a Twitter handle, go ahead and do it!
Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.