How to Duet on TikTok?
Updated · May 10, 2022
TikTok sure is popular. It currently has 689 million active users monthly!
You’re probably on of them, so we’ll skip the boring part.
Let’s talk duets.
Ever spotted those split-screen videos where users react to each other's content? Exactly.
Wanna learn how to duet on TikTok?
You’ve come to the right place.
How to Duet on TikTok
First off, let's explain what dueting on TikTok is.
In short, it’s when you record a video alongside another persons’. Both play at the same time through split-screen. The original is on the right, and your newly recorded one is on the left side of the screen.
You can respond to TikTok content that way, making for great interactions.
Keep in mind TikTok users can enable or disable the feature for all videos on their account via their Privacy settings.
So, you can only duet in TikTok if the original account allows it.
Here’s how you can enable it:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Tap the Profile button in the bottom right corner.
- Press the three horizontal lines at the top right.
- Select Settings and privacy and then tap Privacy.
- Scroll down to Duet.
You now have the options Everyone, Friends, and Only Me. Select your preferred one.
For the best chance of viral success, choose Everyone.
Now that we've got that out of the way, here's how to duet videos on TikTok:
- Open TikTok.
- Find a video you like.
- Tap the Share button on the right side of the screen.
- Hit Duet and then press the red button at the bottom to record your video.
- Once you’re done tap on the check mark on the right.
- Then, select your preferred effects and filters.
- Tap Next and add a caption.
- Press Post.
Pretty easy, right?
But as you may have noticed, TikTok automatically adds the sound of the original video onto your video.
What if you want to add your own? Let’s get right into it.
Dueting on TikTok With Sound
It’s simple, really:
- Open the app.
- Choose a video.
- Hit the Share button and tap on Duet.
- Tap the Mic button on the right.
- Press the red button to record your video (use your earbuds to improve recording quality).
- Once you’re done, press the check mark on the right.
- Tap the Volume button on the right.
- You’ll see two sliders - Original sound (your video) and Added sound (the original one).
- To mute the original video, turn the Added sound volume all the way down.
- Add effects and filters and follow the steps above to fish the process.
But wait, there’s more!
You can also add voice overs when you duet in TikTok.
How to Add Voiceover to Your TikTok Duet?
Once you finish recording your video, do the following:
- Turn the Added Sound volume down
- Hit the Voiceover button on the right
- Press the Record button
- Record your voiceover and then tap Save in the upper right corner
- Follow the steps above to post the duet.
Are you wondering how to make a duet on TikTok with yourself?
You’ve come to the right place.
Duet Your Own Video
You might be wondering if duetting with yourself is the same as adding your own sound to the duet.
Dueting with sound allows you to add the sound from your video onto the original you're interacting with.
By duetting with yourself, you are interacting with your own content. Your two separate videos will play next to each other.
Let’s see how it works:
Luckily, doing TikTok duos with yourself is pretty easy.
You have to:
- Tap on the plus sign at the bottom of the screen.
- Press the red button to begin recording.
- Hit the check mark once you’re done.
- Add effects.
- Next on, post the video.
- Select the video and hit the Share button.
- Select Duet.
- Follow the instructions above to post the duet.
All you need to remember is that this will work only with videos recorded on the app. You can’t use a prerecorded one.
You now know how to make duet videos on TikTok.
If you’re aiming for a viral video, there’s one more thing you need to do - figure out when to post Go, little rockstar!
How do you duet on TikTok with your first video?
Just find a video you'd like to duet with, hit Share on the right and tap Duet.
How do you make a duet video?
First, you have to check if the user has enabled the duet feature on their profile. If they haven't, you'll get a notification telling you that you can't make a duet.
Then, follow the steps listed in the How to Duet on TikTok section above.
Why can't I do a duet on TikTok?
Here are a couple of tips and tricks in case you can’t duet in TikTok:
- Check for app updates. You might be using an older version of TikTok.
- Clear app cache.
- Open the Privacy section of your profile and scroll down to Duet. You can choose either Everyone or Friends.
- Check your network connection.
Techjury.net's manager. Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.