Updated · Jan 29, 2023
If you use your AirPods quite often, losing them can cause a great deal of frustration. It can also alarm your pocket since they’re not cheap.
Luckily, you can learn how to find your AirPods in our thorough guide by using the Find My app.
Let’s dive in.
How to Enable the ‘Find My’ App on Your iPhone?
Except for a few circumstances in which you would need to turn off the Find My app, it is the perfect app you want enabled at all times to help you keep track of your Apple devices. Your lost or misplaced AirPods or even your iPhone can be easily found if you enable the app since Apple’s location-tracking services extend to all its products.
This app lets you find your missing device on a map or play a sound to find it right away. Additionally, you can access your gadget through your browser by visiting the iCloud website. There you can lock the device, display a message, or erase all data.
But first, you need to set up Find My to start the search for your AirPods. Here is how to turn on Find My for your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad:
- Launch the Settings app.
- Choose your Apple ID.
- Select Find My and switch it on.
- If you wish, you can enable Share My Location to let your friends and family know where you are.
- Tap Find My [the searched device], then turn on Find My [device].
- Turn on 'Find My Network' if you want to see your device's location even when it's turned off.
Can You Track AirPods?
Yes, the Find My app can be used for every Apple device. As long as your AirPods are paired with your iPhone, you can easily locate them if they get lost.
Here’s how to track your Airpods:
Locate AirPods on a Map
You can track down your AirPods’ location on a map by using any Apple device you have.
- On iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:
- Open the Find My app.
- Select Devices.
- Tap your AirPods.
- On Apple Watch (watchOS 8.0 or later):
- Turn on Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
- Open the Find Devices app.
- Select your AirPods.
Turn On ‘Find My Network’
You can use Find My Network, which is an anonymous and encrypted network of hundreds of millions of Apple devices. If you have it enabled, you can locate your AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro (all generations), and AirPods Max.
Here is how to switch it on:
- Go to Settings and then Bluetooth.
- Tap the More Info icon next to your AirPods in the list.
- Scroll down to Find My Network.
- Turn it on.
You can see the location of your AirPods in the Find My app for 24 hours after they connect to your device, even if they are not close to you.
How to Play a Sound on Your AirPods
If you’ve seen the location of your AirPods on a map or you somehow know they’re in your proximity, you can use the app to make them ring. But they need to be connected to your device or Bluetooth. If they aren’t, you’ll be able to hear the sound if they connect to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
Let’s see how to ping AirPods:
- The first step is to open the Find My app (on iOS or iPadOS devices) or the Find iPhone section of iCloud.
- Then, select your AirPods:
- On iOS, go to Devices, find your AirPods, and select Play Sound.
- On iCloud.com, first, sign in with your Apple ID, select All Devices, then tap your AirPods and Play Sound.
- On Mac, go to Devices, select your AirPods, click on the Info button (the blue “i” in a circle), and tap Play Sound.
- Your AirPods will begin chirping — follow the sounds to find them.
- You can choose to mute one by tapping Left or Right to find them one at a time in case they’re separated.
- Tap Stop to end the sound.
How to Find One Lost AirPod
Since losing only one AirPod happens quite often, you can search just for the lost one. Or, in case you’ve lost both of them at different locations, you can try to find them one at a time.
Follow the same steps as above for just one misplaced AirPod. You can see the location on the map or ping just one AirPod. Once you find it, place it back in its case. Then refresh the map to see the location of the second one.
How to Get Notified When You Leave Your AirPods Behind
If you want the Find My app to send alerts to notify you when one AirPod is misplaced, you should activate the feature Left Behind. Then, you'll be notified when you distance yourself and the iOS device it's paired with.
Here is how to enable it:
- Go to your Find My app and tap the Devices tab.
- Select your AirPods and tap Notify When Left Behind under Notifications.
- Toggle the switch to the green position to activate it.
Keep in mind that this won’t work if your AirPods run out of battery.
How to Find Missing AirPods using your Mac
If you have the Find My app installed on your Mac, you can use it to find your AirPods. However, your AirPods have to be already connected to your Mac.
- Open the app through Launchpad, Spotlight Search, or your applications folder.
- Click Devices.
- Select your AirPods to see their location on a map.
How to Find AirPods Through iCloud
By now, you’re probably wondering, “how to find AirPods without my iPhone?” It’s possible to locate them from iCloud by using a computer by following these steps:
- Go to icloud.com from your preferred web browser.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Select Find iPhone.
- Find the All Devices menu, and click on it to select your AirPods.
- A map with their current or last known location will appear on your screen.
Turn On Lost Mode
You can enable Lost Mode on your AirPods to share your personal information in case someone finds your missing AirPods. The message with your phone number or email address will appear on their iPhone.
To turn on Lost Mode, you should:
- Open the Find My app on your iPhone and tap Devices.
- Select your AirPods.
- Scroll up from the bottom of your screen and tap Activate under Mark As Lost.
- Next, select Continue.
- Enter your phone number and tap Next. You can also tap Use an email address instead.
- Tap the slider next to Notify When Found and select Activate.
Needless to say, once you find your lost AirPods, you should turn off Lost Mode. From Devices, select your AirPods, and tap Activated under Mark As Lost. Then tap Turn Off Lost Mode and select Turn Off from the pop-up window.
How to Find Your AirPods if They Are Offline
If you’ve left your AirPods somewhere turned on for more than 30 hours (for 3rd generation), they are probably dead or offline. In this case, the Find My app can provide a location where you last used them or the location where they were last connected.
However, if your AirPods are missing for a longer period of time, no location data will be provided, and an Offline message will appear. Additionally, if they are further than 150 ft. from the Bluetooth range, the location provided by Find My won’t always be precise. That’s why it’s important to check your AirPod battery frequently.
How to Replace a Missing AirPod or Charging Case
If nothing above works and there’s no chance for you to find your missing AirPod, maybe it’s time to search for replacements.
Luckily, you won’t need to spend more than $100 on an entirely new pair, and you can go directly through Apple’s support page.
To buy the replacements, you should:
- Sign in to your Apple account to get personalized solutions for your missing AirPods.
- Select AirPods from the list of devices.
- Next, click on Replace Lost AirPods.
- Select the AirPods version you want to replace.
- Solutions to your problem will appear on a separate screen.
If unsure, you can chat with or call a representative.
How to Find Your AirPods at Home
If you’re looking for your AirPods somewhere close by, like in your house, you can use the Find My app to get you to their precise location.
Here is what you should do:
- Open the Find My app on the iOS device that you had paired with your AirPods.
- Select Devices, then tap the name of your AirPods.
- Tap Find and follow the onscreen directions.
Note: You must turn on the Find My Network before your AirPods are lost to find them when they’re nearby.
|You might be interested in: How to check AirPod battery?|
The Find My app is useful for all Apple devices, especially AirPods since they are so easy to misplace. Therefore, use the methods mentioned above if you are wondering how to find your AirPods to cover all bases before you start searching for replacements.
Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.
Updated · Jan 28, 2023
Updated · Jan 27, 2023
Updated · Jan 26, 2023