Updated · Sep 26, 2022
How To Get HBO Max? [Everything You Need To Know]
Updated · Aug 31, 2022
Thinking of rewatching The Sopranos for the millionth time?
Or maybe you want to join the hype around House of the Dragon?
HBO Max offers all that and more.
In this article, you’ll find all the essential info about the premium streaming service:
- What it is and how it differs from HBO
- How to sign up via a browser or an app
- How to get HBO Max on Roku, Firestick, or Smart TV
- Plans and pricing
- What you can watch
Ready? Let’s start by covering the basics:
What Is HBO Max?
HBO Max is a popular streaming service launched by Warner Bros. in 2020. Less than two years later, as of April 2022, it boasts 76.8 million users.
You’ve probably heard of its sibling, the “plain” HBO. But do you know what the difference between these two is?
HBO covers only the original productions by Home Box Office, Inc.
Max, however, offers the original shows and movies but adds to the mix even more content from Warner Media, including DC Comics. Cartoon Network, Studio Ghibli, etc.
And that’s only the tip of the iceberg!
We’ll get into more details further down.
How To Get HBO Max?
What to enjoy all of HBO Max’s vast library for a small monthly charge? Here’s how to sign up in just a few simple steps:
Using Your Web Browser
You can easily subscribe by:
- Visiting HBOMax.com and clicking on Sign Up Now in the upper right corner.
- Step two is choosing your HBO Max experience, meaning you have to pick between its monthly or yearly plan.
- Then, you have to enter your data—names, email, and password and click on Create Account.
- Choose your payment method and add the details. When you’re done, just click on Sign Up.
If you already have a registration, you can use the Sign In option in the upper right corner, where you can enter your email and password and choose your account.
That’s it! We told you it was easy.
Using Your Phone
For those who already have accounts, HBO Max also has a convenient app available on the Play Store and App Store. Download it, and you’re ready to activate HBO Max:
- Open the app and tap the Profile icon.
- Select Sign In to your account.
- Enter your login credentials and then choose Sign In.
- Pick your profile and stream to your heart’s content!
If you haven’t yet registered, you can create an account using the mobile app. The steps are the same as the aforementioned ones.
Adding HBO Max to Roku
You can stream on your Roku device if it runs OS 9.3 or newer versions. Adding the channel to your device can be performed in two different ways:
The first one is the simplest (especially if your device supports voice control).
If it indeed does, all you have to do is press the Voice button and say “HBO Max.”
Otherwise, you’ll have to:
- Press Home on your Roku remote.
- Select Streaming Channels and then Search Channels.
- Type in “HBO Max” and highlight it as it appears.
- Press OK to view details.
- Choose Add Channel!
Voila! Now you should be able to see the icon for HBO Max on your Roku Home screen and, thus, access the platform.
How To Watch HBO Max on Amazon Firestick?
Want to add the service to your Amazon Fire TV? You can do that, but only if you live in the US, Latin America, or Europe.
How to do that? Let us show you:
- Go to Find on your Firestick’s homepage and then pick Search.
- Type in “HBO Max” and select it when it shows up.
- On the app’s page, choose Get to download it.
- Once it’s downloaded, you’ll find it in your App Library.
- Open it and sign into your account.
How To Get HBO Max on Your Smart TV?
This platform is compatible with:
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Samsung TV (2016 models and later)
- LG Smart TV
- XClass TV
- VIZIO Smart TV (2018 models and later).
However, the procedure for adding the app to your TV is standard, no matter your device. So here’s how to watch HBO Max on your Smart TV:
- Go to your App/Content/Play Store and search for HBO Max.
- Select and install it.
- Open it and sign in.
Other Supported Devices
Additionally, you can activate HBO Max on an even wider variety of other devices. That includes your favorite gaming consoles!
See for yourself:
- PlayStation 4 and 5
- Xbox One and Series XIS
- Cox Contour 2 and Contour Stream Player
- Spectrum WorldBox
- Xfinity X1 and Flex.
Is There a Free Trial?
Currently, the platform doesn’t offer a free trial. On the bright side, the company frequently presents discounts and price deals.
Here’s an example: If you sign up until October 30, 2022, you can save 40% on annual plans.
And let’s not forget:
You can always cancel your monthly subscription if you’re not feeling it.
HBO Max Plans & Pricing
Pricing-wise, this service keeps things pretty straightforward. You have two options.
You can sign up for HBO Max for the following cost:
- With Ads plan—$9.99/month or $99.99/year
- Ads-Free plan—$14.99/month or $149.99/year
If you opt to prepay for the whole year, you get 20% off.
So, how do these subscriptions differ?
Luckily, both net you the same content and allow you to stream across three devices simultaneously. The only difference is that the pricier package is blissfully commercial-free.
What You Can Watch on HBO Max?
The most important question—what do you get with HBO Max?
Over 13,000 hours of streaming fun!
The platform contains ten entertainment hubs in total:
- Cartoon Network
- Classics Curated by TCM
- Studio Ghibli
- Adult Swim
- Sesame Workshop
- Looney Tunes
Among its repertoire, you can find everything from gritty titles like No Country For Old Men to bubbly cartoons like Steven Universe.
On top of that, you’ll be able to stream the finest HBO originals, such as:
- The Sopranos
- The Wire
- Game of Thrones
- True Detective
- Boardwalk Empire
- Sharp Objects
You’ll also gain access to exclusive Max Original programming like Our Flag Means Death, Doom Patrol, Raised by Wolves, and others.
There you have it—now you know how to access HBO Max on various devices! We’ve covered pretty much everything here except toasters (don’t worry, this technology hasn’t been developed… yet).
All in all, whatever you want to watch, chances are you’ll find it in HBO Max’s content library. And new titles are being added all the time.
Binge-watchers, beware—you’ll be stuck with this one for a long time!
Where is HBO Max available?
HBO Max is available in over 60 territories across the US, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
Is HBO Max included with HBO?
If you’re subscribed to HBO through a participating provider, you’ll also automatically sign up for HBO Max.
Are HBO and HBO Max the same?
Nope, they’re not the same. HBO Max has tons of extra content from Warner Bros. and exclusive TV shows and movies.
Does Apple TV have HBO Max?
Yes, Apple TV is compatible with this streaming platform. Here’s how to get HBO Max on your device:
- Open the App Store and type in the app’s name.
- Select it and download it.
- Open it and choose Sign in or Choose a Plan.
Selma is a content writer with a love for all things nerdy by day and an internet archaeologist that likes to dig up obscurities by night. Mostly she's trying to balance between many obsessions. Right now, it's bass playing and reading hard sci-fi about vampires in outer space - next week, who knows.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.