How to Mirror iPhone to TV? [All You Need To Know]
Updated · Aug 01, 2022
Knowing how to mirror your iPhone screen to a TV can be a convenient feature.
Because it lets you duplicate your phone’s small screen and some or all of its contents to a larger display.
Let’s say you’ve got some friends over and you want to show them pictures from your last vacation or play a mobile game on a bigger screen. Mirroring your iPhone screen to a TV is an easy way to achieve this.
There are a few available options, so let’s have a look.
How To Mirror iPhone To TV?
The best way to do it is by using Apple’s proprietary AirPlay technology. It lets you stream your phone’s contents to a compatible device using Wi-Fi.
In order to use it, you only need your iPhone and a smart TV or receiver equipped with the AirPlay technology. Receivers can include AppleTV, a casting dongle/box, or pretty much any Smart TV made after 2019 or so.
It’s worth noting that AirPlay got a big upgrade in 2017 and became AirPlay 2. So make sure both devices support the same protocol. In regards to your iPhone, that would be any model running iOS 11.4 or later.
The image you’ll get when mirroring your screen with AirPlay will be the exact same. It even retains the same aspect ratio, so don’t be surprised that the picture isn’t full screen. Whatever you do on your iPhone will be visible on your TV.
Here’s how to do it:
- Make sure both your iPhone and TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Bring out the Control Center on your iPhone.
- Tap the Screen Mirroring button and select your TV. You may have to confirm a password shown on your screen before the connection is made.
- To stop mirroring, simply go back to the Control Center, tap the Screen Mirroring button, and then Stop Mirroring.
In addition, Airplay may allow for a wireless iPhone to TV connection even without Wi-Fi, but via Bluetooth only.
This will only work if you have an Apple TV device running tvOS 9.0 or newer and iOS 12 or up. If your Wi-Fi goes down or is a bit slower than usual, this option can prove pretty useful.
Here’s how to use AirPlay’s peer-to-peer feature:
- Make sure your devices are not connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Connect the iPhone to the TV via Bluetooth.
- Now turn the Wi-Fi on your iPhone back on. This is only used to make the communication between the devices possible.
- You should be able to see the AirPlay options on your iPhone now. If you still don’t, try moving closer to the Apple TV or restarting your phone.
- Tap on the Screen Mirroring button to connect. Enter the password shown on your TV if prompted.
Although it’s still not that popular, mirroring your iPhone screen to a TV, or at least casting media from it, is a very convenient feature. Nowadays, more and more people are moving away from cable TV to streaming apps and websites. The ability to mirror or cast from your iPhone lets you enjoy your favorite programs on a big screen.
AirPlay Video From Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
Aside from mirroring your entire screen, AirPlay lets you screencast videos or music from specific apps only.
This feature is helpful if you don’t want incoming messages to appear for everyone to see. It also lets you watch your content on a big screen without having to use your login details on it.
The apps that allow this feature include YouTube and most streaming services, with one notable exception being Netflix. Although it was previously available, the company decided to abandon AirPlay support without much explanation.
You can still cast to it and control it from your iPhone, but this isn’t done through AirPlay.
So, let’s see how to cast from iPhone to TV using YouTube as an example.
- Go to the YouTube app on your iPhone and find a video.
- Tap the cast icon in the top right corner of the video window.
- Choose and tap on the device you want to stream to.
Simple as that.
The process is the same for any app that supports AirPlay.
The only slight difference is when streaming a video from the Photos app. In that case, you only need to tap Share and then select the AirPlay icon from the list of options.
Via an HDMI Cable
If you don’t have an AirPlay-equipped TV or device, fear not. You can still mirror your iPhone screen.
You can do it by buying a Lightning to HDMI adapter. This will let you use an HDMI cable to connect an iPhone to a TV.
Even though this method is very simple, there are a few things you should consider before going for it:
- HDMI cable - HDMI cables do vary in quality, so make sure you get a good one. Also, consider the length of the cable since you’ll probably want to have your phone within arm’s length.
- Lightning to HDMI adapter - The main thing you need to ensure is that the adapter is compliant with HDCP. This is a copy-protection scheme meant to prevent the capture of protected digital content from the source to the display. Some third-party adapters may not have this, so unless you’re absolutely sure they do, stick with Apple’s official Lightning Digital AV adapter.
- HDMI port on TV - Make sure you have one available just so you don’t have to fiddle with plugging and unplugging other devices.
Here’s how to do screen mirroring on iPhone without AirPlay:
- Plug the Lightning port side to your iPhone.
- Plug one side of the HDMI cable into the port on your TV and the other into the adapter.
- Select the corresponding port on your TV.
Tip: If you have the original Apple adapter (or a similar one), you can keep your phone’s battery on charge while streaming.
This method is the next best way to mirror from your iPhone to a TV. Especially if your Wi-Fi connection is down or just not stable enough.
Since this is a wired connection, the results will be the most consistent, and you won’t experience any drops in signal and quality.
Speaking of quality, do keep in mind that this adapter will max out at 1080p even if you’re playing a 4K video.
Apps for iPhone to TV Mirroring
If you use a Roku device, Chromecast, or Amazon FireTV Stick, you can still mirror or at least cast media from your iPhone to your TV.
Although they don’t all support AirPlay to TV, there are ways to get similar results.
Let’s have a look:
Mirroring with Roku
If your Roku device runs Roku OS 9.4 or later, then it’ll support AirPlay. With it, you’ll be able to mirror your iPhone screen and cast photos, videos, and music by following the same AirPlay steps explained above.
Chromecast and FireTV Stick
Chromecast uses Google’s own Cast protocol over AirPlay. This means you won’t be able to use the iPhone screen mirroring feature natively, but you can still screencast media from apps.
Amazon’s FireTV Stick uses a different system and requires you to download apps both on it and on your iPhone in order to mirror. Some select apps like YouTube will still allow you to cast to it.
There are certain third-party apps that give you the screen mirroring option.
Some popular options include:
- AirBeamTV Screen Mirroring on Chromecast
- 2kit Consulting Screen Mirror
They all work more or less the same and will have some drawbacks like:
- Not very good video quality
- Ads (in most cases)
- Some will also have you download a second app on your streaming device, as is the case with Amazon’s FireTV Stick
Some of these apps are completely free, while others will have trial periods and prompt you to upgrade afterwards. Whichever the case, you’ll still be able to test and decide whether the iPhone screen mirroring quality is good enough.
As you can see, there are plenty of methods to share your iPhone screen with a TV, regardless of the setup.
You can keep it wireless with AirPlay on Apple TV. Or, if your Wi-Fi is not as good, you can opt-in for an HDMI adapter instead.
The options are out there, and it’s just a matter of preference.
How can I mirror my iPhone to my TV?
You can mirror your iPhone screen by using one of three methods:
- Wirelessly via AirPlay
- Wirelessly via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or a third party app (depending on the device)
- Wired connection via Lightning to HDMI adapter
How can I mirror my iPhone to my TV without Apple TV?
You don’t necessarily need an Apple TV AirPlay device to mirror your iPhone. Many modern TVs support AirPlay, so any of them will allow wireless mirroring. Roku’s newer streaming devices also come with AirPlay support.
If you use Chromecast or Fire Stick, you won’t be able to mirror your iPhone. Instead, you‘ll only be able to cast certain media, or you can try a third-party app to fully mirror your screen.
How do I connect my iPhone to my Smart TV wirelessly?
If your Smart TV supports AirPlay, you can seamlessly connect your phone by following the steps in our full guide. The main thing you need to ensure is that both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Why can’t I mirror my iPhone to my TV?
There can be a few reasons for the mirroring not working.
Here are a few troubleshooting guidelines to help solve the more common issues regarding how to mirror your iPhone to TV:
- Ensure both your iPhone and the receiving device support AirPlay
- Make sure your Wi-Fi is working and that both devices are connected to the same network
- Bring your iPhone closer to the TV
- Only mirror one device at a time
- Restart your iPhone and TV
Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.