His fascination with technology ignited at an early age, thanks to computers and video games. Apart ... | See full bio
How to Play Music While Recording Video [iPhone & Android]
Updated · Jul 27, 2023
April is a proficient content writer with a knack for research and communication. With a keen eye fo... | See full bio
If you are a content creator, knowing how to play music while recording a video on your smartphone can be very useful. This option is disabled by default on both Android and iOS devices for copyright and other reasons, but luckily, there are a few ways you can get around this restriction, so check them out below.
Play Music While Recording Video on iPhone
If you’ve ever tried to record a video while playing music on your iPhone, you know that the music stops right after you switch to Video mode in the Camera app.
Here are a few workarounds that will help get past this issue.
1. Use Your Camera App
It is possible to play music while recording video on iPhone using nothing but your stock camera app. However, this option is only limited to devices that support the QuickTake video capture feature (iPhone XS and later).
Here is how it works:
- Launch your music app and play the track you want featured in your video.
- Open the Camera app, and don’t switch from Photo mode.
- To start recording, hold the shutter button at the bottom of the screen. Hold the button for the duration of your video, or slide right to lock it in place.
- Tap the red square button when you are done recording.
The video will be saved to your Camera roll as usual, and you will be able to hear the background music when you play it.
As convenient as the QuickTake feature is, note that it will affect the video resolution and frame rate, as it is limited to only 1440 x 1920 pixels at 30 frames per second, which is significantly lower than the iPhone’s native video resolution.
2. Use a Third-Party Video Recording App
But what if you have an older iPhone model that doesn’t support the QuickTake video capture feature? In that case, you can download a third-party video recording app, such as Mideo, that lets you play music and record video at the same time.
The app supports several modes, including front, back, portrait, flash, zoom, and landscape, and lets you record videos in 720p, 1080p, and 4K resolution.
Here is how to record video with music on iPhone using Mideo.
- Visit the App Store and download the Mideo app.
- Play music using Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, or any other streaming service you use.
- Launch Mideo and start recording. The music should continue playing, but in case it stops, you can resume from the Control Center.
- While recording with Mideo, you can also pause or change the song at any time from the Control Center.
Once you are finished recording, your video will be instantly saved to the Photos app on your iPhone.
3. Use Instagram
You can also use social media apps like Instagram or Snapchat to play music while recording a video on your iPhone.
Here is how to play music while recording a video using Instagram:
- First, open your music streaming service and play any song.
- Then, launch Instagram on your iPhone. In case you don’t use Instagram, download it from the App Store and create an account.
- Swipe from left to right anywhere on your feed to open the Instagram camera.
- Tap and hold the white button to start recording.
- Release the button when you are finished.
- Tap on the three dots at the top right of your screen and select Save to download the video to your device.
Note that a reel lasts a maximum of 60 seconds, so if your video is longer than that, you will need to save it in multiple parts.
Snapchat is another social media app that allows users to record a video with music playing in the background. Here is how to record while playing music on your iPhone using Snapchat.
- Play a song on your iPhone.
- Launch Snapchat and open the camera.
- Tap and hold the capture button to record a video and release it when you are done. You can also swipe left to lock the button in recording mode and tap it to stop recording.
- Tap Save at the bottom left of the screen to download the video to your iPhone. Alternatively, you can also tap on Send to and send the video in a message.
5. Screen Recording
It is also possible to record your iPhone’s screen with music playing in the background. However, before using this function, you must first enable screen recording from your iPhone’s Settings.
Here is how you can do it.
- Go to your iPhone’s Settings and open Control Center.
- Then, tap the green circle next to Screen Recording to enable it.
- Open Control Center again and long press the screen record button to begin recording.
- To stop recording, tap the red clock icon at the top left of your display. This will save your recording in your Photos app.
Play Music While Recording Video on Android
By default, any music you play on your Android device stops as soon as you start recording a video. You can try any of the solutions below to fix the issue.
1. Use Third-Party Video Recording App
On Android, you can play music while recording video using an app like Together. Follow these steps to use this method.
- Open Google Play Store and download the Together app on your device.
- Launch your music player and play the song you want to feature in the video.
- Then, open the Together app and tap the video camera icon to start recording.
- Hit the same button to stop recording. Your video will be automatically saved to your device.
2. Use Instagram
Another way to play music while recording video on Android is to use a social media app like Instagram. Follow the steps below, but first, download Instagram and create an account if you don’t already have one.
- Open your music app and play your preferred song.
- Launch Instagram and swipe right to open the camera.
- Tap and hold the white circular button at the bottom of the screen to start recording.
- Release the button to stop recording.
- You can download the video to your Android device by tapping the three dots at the top right of the screen and selecting Save.
When using this method, remember that an Instagram Story can last a maximum of 60 seconds, so if you want to capture a video longer than that, you will have to save it in several parts.
3. Use Snapchat
If you are wondering how to record video while playing music on your Android device using Snapchat, here are the steps you need to follow.
- First, play your preferred song in your music app.
- Then, go to Snapchat and open the camera.
- Hold the capture button while recording, or simply swipe to the left to lock the button in record mode.
- Release the capture button or tap it to stop recording.
- Tap Save to download the video to your phone.
Now that you know how to play music while recording a video on your smartphone, you can easily add a soundtrack to your recordings. Apps like Mideo or Together offer an easy way to do it, but you can also use Instagram, Snapchat, or your iPhone’s QuckCapture feature for this purpose.
Your email address will not be published.
Updated · Nov 30, 2023
Updated · Dec 05, 2023