How to Screenshot on Dell Laptop? All The Methods Explained
Updated · Oct 16, 2022
The screenshot is a convenient feature on both phones and computers. My friends and I use it all the time. I imagine you do too.
However, I’ve noticed that people take pictures of their screens mostly on their mobile devices, and some don’t even know how to do it on a PC.
Worry not if you are one of them, as I am here to explain just that.
I’ll specifically show you how to screenshot on a Dell laptop - however, the process is the same for any PC. So if you have a different computer, this article will still be helpful.
Shall we get started?
How To Screenshot On a Dell Laptop?
I’ll walk you through the different methods of screenshotting. The Print Screen button on your laptop is very significant, as it makes things quick and simple.
Let’s start with what you can do with it:
Using The Print Screen (Prt Sc) Button
The Print Screen key sits on the top row of your keyboard. The key typically has Prt Sc as its label - however, you can also find it as PrintScreen, PrntScrn, PrntScr, PrtScn, PrtScr, PrtSc, or other similar abbreviations.
The button can be used by itself or in combination with other keys to produce similar but differing results, like:
To take a full screenshot on your Dell PC, press the PrtSc button. It only, though, saves to the clipboard. To save it as a file, you must first paste it into a photo editing or graphic design software.
Here’s the simplest way to do this by using MS Paint:
- Find the PrtScn key on your keyboard and press it.
- Open Microsoft Paint by clicking on Start and searching.
- After opening the application, paste the screenshot from the clipboard by either right-clicking and pressing Paste or using Ctrl + V. You can also edit the image from here.
- Click Save in order to copy the image onto your device.
- Windows Key + Prt Sc
If you use this method to capture a screenshot on a Dell computer, your device will save it on the clipboard and in a Screenshots folder.
You can find this folder in the This PC section in the File Explorer.
Here are the steps:
- Press the Windows key + PrtScn combination on your keyboard. The screen will dim for a second, which indicates that you captured the screenshot.
- Press Windows key + E on your keyboard to open File Explorer.
- Follow these steps: This PC → Pictures → Screenshots.
- Alt + Prt Sc
This combination of keys will allow you to take a screenshot on a Dell desktop of an active window only. This means the image is only of the open window with no background showing.
Your screen capture will be saved on the clipboard when pressing this key combination.
The steps are similarly easy to follow as the preceding ones.
- Press Alt + PrtScn on your keyboard.
- Click on Start and search for Microsoft Paint.
- Paste the screenshot there by right-click + Paste or Ctrl + V. Edit and adjust the canvas as needed.
- Click on Save to copy the image to a folder of your choice.
These are the ways you can utilize the Print Screen button.
Now, let me introduce another method.
With Snipping Tool
This section highlights how to take a picture on a Dell laptop using the Windows Snipping Tool.
It’s a built-in tool that lets you customize the screenshot area. You can also edit it afterward.
- Search for the Snipping Tool in the Start menu and open it.
- When loaded, click on New.
- Select the area you want to screenshot by clicking and dragging. Then let go of the mouse button.
- You can edit the screenshot with the given tools.
- Click on the three dots in the upper-right corner and click on Save (or press Ctrl + S).
- Save the screen capture in a folder of your choice.
The Game Bar
Gamers probably already know this, but are you aware that the Game Bar is also used to take screenshots and screen recordings.
As such, you can also use this tool to take a screenshot on a Dell computer:
- Press the Windows key + G combination to open the Game Bar.
- Click on the camera icon in the overlay menu. This way, you will capture a photo of your entire screen.
- Go to Videos → Captures to access the screenshots you’ve taken.
How to Take A Screenshot if the Keyboard Has No Print Key?
If you’ve been confusingly looking around your keyboard, wondering where the PrtScn key is, you might own a device that doesn’t have such. That’s perfectly fine - there’s still a way.
To take a screenshot, you first need to find the Function or Fn key.
After you’ve located it, press the following combination of buttons:
Fn key + Windows key + Space Bar
In most cases, this will take a screen capture, the same way the Print Screen key does.
What To Do if None of The Above Works?
If you’re trying to perform a screen capture on your Dell by pressing the aforementioned key combinations, and still nothing happens.
The most common reason this happens is that the PrtScn key has another function assigned to it. Usually, the End and Print Screen functions are accessible through the same key on Dell laptops that have an Fn button.
In this case, you need to use the following combination:
Fn key + Prt Sc key
The process remains the same, no matter which functions the Prt Sc key pairs with.
If you’re trying to take a screenshot on a Dell desktop, but the above methods still don’t work, there’s one more thing you can try.
Simply install a screenshot program.
They usually come with many editing tools and can also have a screen recording option.
So, there it is, folks.
Now you know how to screenshot on a Dell laptop or desktop. These methods apply to all types of computers, so don’t be shy to try them out!
Lastly, it's best not to hoard screenshots since they can reduce your disk space and slow down your machine.
I mean, I know I tend to keep many unnecessary ones.
Velina describes herself as passionate media savvy and a versatile individual with numerous different interests, most a result of her Media & Communications BA. She has also developed a keen interest in Digital Marketing and Advertising. Her never-ending desire to constantly learn new things and enrich herself and her ultimate dream to go around the globe before 45 are her driving forces.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.