Updated · Dec 02, 2022
How to Uninstall League of Legends Quickly and Completely
Updated · Nov 09, 2022
If you haven’t logged into League of Legends in some time, need to fix an issue with the game, or simply want to take a break, it’s time to click that uninstall button.
So if you have no idea how to uninstall League of Legends from your system, this thorough guide takes you through the process from start to finish.
Let’s get to it!
How to Uninstall League of Legends on Windows 10 and 11
If you are eager to remove League of Legends from your Windows 10 or 11 machine for whatever reason, you only have to complete a few simple steps:
- Open the Start menu with your mouse or the ‘Win’ key;
- Type in ‘Add or remove programs’ and click on it;
- Search for ‘League of Legends’ through the ‘Apps & features’ list;
- Click on ‘Uninstall’ and wait for the process to complete.
Congrats! You have just completed the standard League of Legends uninstall procedure, but there’s more to do if you want to remove all remnant files and folders:
- Locate and delete the old LoL setup files;
- Navigate to C:\Riot Games to manually delete the game folder;
- Search C: with LoL keywords to find and delete stray files and folders;
- Run a registry cleaner app with a free version, such as CCleaner;
Note: You cannot uninstall League of Legends through its launcher app as of yet.
|Read our thorough CCleaner guide to see what this powerful app can do!|
League of Legends is one of those games that wins feel very rewarding and losses can be the most infuriating thing in the world, making it one of the best games to stream, and one of the biggest esport titles. On some days, the losses can lead you to rage uninstall the game.
How to Uninstall League of Legends on Mac
When you uninstall League of Legends on a Mac instead, you will spend even less time than what it takes to do it on Windows, as it only takes a couple of steps:
- Open ‘Finder’ and click on the ‘Applications’ tab on the left;
- Drag and drop the ‘League of Legends’ icon on top of the ‘Trash’ icon;
However, additional support files on your hard drive can be found in the ‘Library’ folder, which will appear in your ‘Home’ directory after you unhide it.
Then, you will have to navigate to the following folders to search for remnant LoL data:
- ~Library/Application Support/Riot Games
- ~Library/Saved Application Data
- a) Find and delete all ‘LeagueClient’ logs.
Alternatively, you can search for related LoL files with the built-in macOS search function, which allows you to find all files and folders associated with specific applications.
How to Uninstall League of Legends With Third-Party Software
If you like to take a more direct and hassle-free approach, you can always uninstall League of Legends via a third-party application, regardless of your OS.
- Download and install CCleaner from the provided links;
- Navigate to the ‘Uninstall’ section found under ‘Tools’;
- Scroll through the list until you find ‘League of Legends’;
- Select it, click ‘Uninstall’, and wait for the procedure to complete.
Note: While the actions above describe the CCleaner Windows experience, using the program to uninstall apps on macOS follows a very similar process.
pictured above: CCleaner for Windows
Just like its OS-native counterparts, CCleaner only does a basic uninstall. So, if you want to eliminate all remaining files, follow the appropriate steps outlined above.
How to Reinstall League of Legends
Due to its live service nature, you might feel tempted to come back to League of Legends down the line. The reinstall procedure goes smoothly as long as you have completed a clean uninstall.
On Windows, you merely have to complete the following steps:
- Download the latest League of Legends version;
- Run the LeagueofLegends.exe to get the most up-to-date files;
- The installation process will start after the download completes;
- Once the game launcher opens, follow the on-screen prompts;
- Choose your favorite Champion and take it easy. It’s only a game!
If you’ve deleted your previous configuration folder, which contains your in-game settings, during your last uninstallation, you will have to adjust your preferences again.
However, even if you’ve kept the config data, you can still reset it at this point:
- Navigate to your League of Legends install folder;
- Delete the ‘Config’ folder;
- Open your LoL client and start a custom game;
- The game will now generate a fresh config folder.
Reinstalling League of Legends on macOS
The reinstall process is more or less the same if you are playing on macOS:
- Download the LoL installer from the official site;
- Find the .dmg file in your ‘Downloads folder and double-click it;
- Drag and drop the LoL.app to the ‘Applications’ folder;
- Go to your App folder and run LoL from there.
Do not run League of Legends from the .dmg window, or you will receive an unspecified error. Also, in some cases, Mac’s case-sensitive file system may prevent you from installing the game, which can be resolved by installing it on a non-sensitive drive or partition.
Regardless of your reasons for uninstalling League of Legends from your computer, carefully follow the steps above for your specific platform to remove every last cluttering file. That way, you can complete a clean and bug-free reinstall if you get the LoL itch again!
Where is the League of Legends folder on Windows 10 & 11?
The default Windows location is C:/Riot Games/League of Legends. If you are on macOS, however, your installation folder will be located under the ‘Applications’ directory.
How to uninstall League of Legends completely?
After you uninstall LoL via ‘Apps & features’ in Windows or by dragging it over the Trash can in macOS, you have to complete additional actions to remove all remaining files, such as cleaning your registry and removing any leftover user folders on either platform.
Dejan is a techie at heart who always dreamed of turning his fascination with gaming into a career. He finds working for TechJury a perfect opportunity to express his views of all kinds of different software. Being an avid reader, particularly of fantasy and sci-fi, Dejan pursued a degree in English Language and Literature. When not at his computer, he’s watching sports or playing tabletop games.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.