How To Whisper on Twitch
Updated · May 06, 2022
Fancy talking privately to a person on a Twitch stream?
Enter Twitch Whisper.
Although it sounds like the beginning of a horror movie, it’s actually quite a simple concept.
So, let me show you how to whisper on Twitch and what are the benefits.
How To Whisper on Twitch?
Whispering on Twitch is like privately messaging someone on Instagram or Facebook. It is used when you want to communicate with a single user, rather than texting the stream’s chat.
But how to send а PM on Twitch?
There are several ways you can do that, depending on the device you are using.
Let’s first cover PCs and laptops. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Open a stream via browser or the Twitch app.
2. Type in the chat the following command: “/w username” followed by your message. Replace the username with an actual one.
3. Press Enter or click the Whisper button.
See? It’s not that hard to send whispers on Twitch.
Now let's see how do you whisper to someone on Twitch by tapping on their name.
1. Once again, open a stream.
2. Click on a user.
3. Tap the Whisper button.
A chat panel will pop up at the bottom of your window.
That was even easier, wasn’t it?
Nowadays, most people watch streams on their mobile devices. Therefore, it would be a good idea to show you how to whisper on the Twitch mobile app.
Choose your fighter:
Entering a command line
We’ve already discussed it, but repetition is the mother of knowledge or something.
1. Open a stream in the Twitch app.
2. Type the following command: “/w username” followed by a message.
Replace the username with an actual handle.
3. Click on the Send button near the typing field.
The second way to PM someone on the Twitch live chat is by tapping on their name.
1. Open a stream and select a user you want to whisper to in a Twitch chat.
2. Select Whisper and start chatting.
And the third option for how to PM someone on Twitch is by visiting their profile.
1. Open the Twitch app and find the user you want to message.
2. Click on the three-dot menu in the right upper corner of your screen and select the Whisper option.
The latter two ways will open a new chat panel where you two can talk. Whispering in Twitch via a command line will send your message to the same panel, but won’t open it up for you.
To access all your social activities, including Twitch whispers, go to the Social section.
1. Open the Twitch app and navigate to the upper right corner of the window.
2. Select the Chat Box icon and tap on the Whispers option.
Tip: You can also message people from your Social section by clicking on the Whisper Someone.
How To Manage Whispers on Twitch?
Although the Whisper function is useful, sometimes it can prove annoying. For example, if you’ve allowed PMs from strangers, they can actually start harassing you.
So, let’s discuss how to turn on or off whispers on Twitch.
We’ll start with PC and laptops again because it feels like the natural order of things. So, here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Twitch app and navigate to your avatar in the upper right corner of the window.
2. Click on it and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
3. Go to the Security and Privacy tab and scroll down until you find the Privacy section.
You have two choices: to block a user and completely get rid of their messages, or to block whispers from strangers.
Keep in mind that you may still receive PMs from strangers if you message them first.
You can also manage your whispers by accessing them via the Chat Box icon next to your avatar.
By hovering your mouse over a certain chat and selecting the Recycle bin icon, you can delete Twitch whispers.
Stop the notifications for those chats or completely block the user to stop receiving their whispers.
Follow these steps:
1. Open the Twitch app and tap on your avatar in the upper left corner.
2. Tap on Account Settings and then choose Security & Privacy.
3. Scroll down and find Block Whispers from Strangers. If you wish to stop receiving PMs from strangers toggle it. Otherwise, leave it turned off.
To disable Twitch whisper notification for a certain chat or to block a user, you have to:
1. Open Twitch and tap on the Chat Box icon in the upper right corner.
2. Tap on the Whispers tab.
3. Tap and hold on to a certain chat to disable its Twitch Whisper notification or block the user. You can also delete the chat by tapping on the Hide button.
Congratulations! You’ve now learned how to whisper with someone on Twitch.
The best thing about Twitch is the friends you make along the way. That’s mostly thanks to the chat box.
But sometimes you want to discuss something with a specific person, not with all two million users watching. This is exactly I why taught you how to Whisper on Twitch.
You can now successfully finish your Gossip Girl transformation.
Techjury.net's manager. Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.