19 Crucial Podcast Statistics to Show How Big It Is in 2022
Updated · May 13, 2022
Podcasts are a great way to take in new and exciting information. You can learn, grow, and laugh as you do other things. Listening to content is especially convenient if you’re on your way to work or while exercising. And there are so many amazing shows out there that anyone can find a podcast that intrigues them.
The industry has been booming in recent years. So, here are some podcast stats you may find interesting if you’re into this popular content medium.
Fascinating Podcast Statistics
These fascinating podcast facts prove that it’s a hot topic and many Americans consider it a productive or entertaining use of their time.
- 56% of Americans aged between 12 and 34 report listening to at least one podcast per month
- The Apple Podcast index contains 2.4 million shows
- In 2021, US consumers listened to roughly 15 billion hours of podcasts
- In 2021, there were over 850,000 active podcasts worldwide
- When it comes to purchasing habits, 38% of listeners report buying the products or services mentioned in podcasts
- Forecasts show that the number of monthly podcast listeners will increase to 160 million by 2023
- In 2022, podcast advertising revenue is forecasted to surpass $1.6 billion
General Podcast Statistics
Here are some podcast listening stats to give you a general idea of the ways people are enjoying this new and exciting medium.
1. 56% of Americans aged between 12 and 34 report listening to at least one podcast per month
(Convince and Convert)
More than half of the US population between ages 12 and 34 are tuning in to their favorite podcasts each month. Given that podcasts are a relatively new form of broadcasting, these numbers are quite remarkable.
2. The Apple Podcast index contains 2.4 million shows.
Podcast listening stats show that Apple has the industry’s largest directory, containing 2.4 million shows.
3. 94% of podcast listeners are doing other tasks while tuning in.
Podcasts are great because you don’t have to just sit and listen. You can do other things and still enjoy your favorite shows. It turns out they’re quite useful in adding variety to mundane tasks like commuting or shopping.
4. The average podcast gets around 27 listens per episode.
This is the average number of listeners per podcast. However, the most popular podcasts get almost 3,200 per episode.
5. In 2021, US consumers listened to roughly 15 billion hours of podcasts.
The number marks an increase of 3 billion listeners compared to 2019’s 12 billion.
6. The most popular podcast category is comedy.
22% of Americans tune into podcasts that fall under the comedy genre. People are looking for reasons to laugh, and that’s a convenient and easy way to do so.
Podcast Industry Statistics
You may be wondering what else is happening within the podcast industry. Check out some interesting facts that may surprise you.
7. Podcast listener numbers: In 2021, there were an estimated 120 million podcast listeners in the US.
Podcasts were booming in 2021 and are an increasingly popular pastime today. Moreover, some predictions claim that podcast audiences will continue to grow by about 20 million listeners each year.
Podcast Market Share Statistics
Curious about what the podcast market research shows? Read on to find out:
8. By 2028, podcasting will be a $94.88 billion industry.
Predictions show that podcasting is here to stay and will continue to take over in terms of market share.
9. 66% of consumers prefer podcasts over TV.
(First Site Guide)
Many people are using podcasts as a way to relax, get informed, or have a good laugh. People are no longer sitting around watching TV. In fact, 66% of consumers today prefer watching podcasts instead of TV.
10. Podcast ad revenues in the US are expected to continue rising and surpass $2 billion annually by 2023.
Marketers are recognizing the rise in podcast popularity and are prepared to invest in advertising through this medium. Podcast ad reveneues are expected to reach $1.6 billion in 2022, and surpass $2 billion annualy by 2023.
Podcast Listener Demographics
Another interesting question to ask is who are the average podcast listeners.
11. In 2011, 68% of podcast audiences were White.
However, this is slowly changing. Below are the current percentages by ethnicity regarding the demographics of podcast listeners:
- 57% White
- 13% African American
- 16% Hispanic
- 4% Asian
- 10% Other
12. In 2021, female listenership reached an all-time high.
When it comes to podcast audiences, the gender gap is rapidly closing. It’s exciting that more women are turning in than ever before. In fact, 43% of US men and 39% of US women listen to podcasts.
13. Over 66% of listeners have a college degree with an average annual household income of $75,000 or greater.
Over half of podcasts listeners have a bachelor’s degree or higher. This may come down to interest as well as access.
Podcast Growth Statistics
On-demand audio is increasing in popularity, which means even more podcast listeners in the future. Here are the latest podcast growth statistics.
14. Monthly podcast listening is growing the fastest among Americans aged 55+.
The older generations are taking to podcasting and are tuning in more and more. More than 25% of Americans aged 55+ listen to podcasts monthly.
15. Forecasts show that the number of monthly podcast listeners will increase to 160 million by 2023
The podcast industry statistics show that the number of listeners continues to grow, and the medium will become even more popular in the years to come.
16. As of April 2022, there are over 2,423,127 valid podcasts.
It’s apparent that podcasts are in demand. In comparison, there were just over 850,000 active podcasts in 2021.
Average Podcast Download Statistics
These are some of the most interesting podcast download stats to know.
17. The average podcast gets about 141 downloads in the first 30 days.
When it comes to average podcast downloads, most podcasts get off to a good start right from the beginning. On the other hand, the most successful podcast episode had around 50,000 downloads in just 30 days post-publishing.
18. The Joe Rogan Experience is the most popular podcast in terms of monthly podcast listeners.
When it comes to podcast popularity, very few can rival the JRE. It gets a lot of attention and has a huge number of dedicated listeners. In 2019, Joe Rogan shared that the show gets close to 200 million downloads per month.
19. The average podcast length is 36 minutes.
(Story Ninety Four)
People want information, and they want it fast. Therefore, the average podcast length isn’t too long.
Here we are in 2022, and the podcast industry continues to grow and flourish – the podcast facts we shared with you prove it.
This relatively new medium provides an exciting way to learn new things and listen to your favorite hosts. If you wish to create your own show one day, the insights we shared with you could definitely prove useful. And if you need inspiration or ideas, just take the time to check out some of the most popular podcasts out there. There’s a ton to choose from, and you’ll get to see what the hype is all about.
How can you find out how many listeners a podcast has?
There are several ways, but the easiest method is to check out podcast download numbers and the number of subscribers.
How do podcasts measure performance?
You can track the number of listeners or calculate the number of people who download an episode.
How much do podcasters make?
You can expect to make between $500 and $900 per episode in affiliate sales if your podcast has roughly 10,000 downloads.
Are podcasts too long?
Statistics show that a good podcast lenght is around 15-20 minutes; however, most average at 36 minutes. One hour is typically too long for listeners.
Techjury.net's manager. Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.