Raj Vardhman is a tech expert and the Chief Tech Strategist at TechJury.net, where he leads the rese... | See full bio
How to Configure Windows 10 Proxy Settings
Updated · Aug 04, 2023
Lorie is an English Language and Literature graduate passionate about writing, research, and learnin... | See full bio
A proxy server is a system or router that grants Internet access to Windows 10 users. This server requests websites, servers, and services on the Internet for you.
Configuring your proxy settings can benefit you by bypassing regional restrictions on websites, creating profiles on several social media platforms, or scraping data from the web without blocking your IP address.
Find out why configuring a proxy server is important and how to do so in various ways.
Proxy servers allow for a safer, faster, and easier Internet browsing experience by blocking malicious content and bypassing website censorship.
Windows 10 has built-in Proxy settings on its OS and can be accessed through the Network and Internet Settings Menu or in the Control Panel.
Proxy settings are changed through Automatic Configuration Script, Manual Network Configuration, and web browsers.
Users can also disable proxy servers by going to LAN settings and unchecking the boxes for automatic connections.
Understanding Proxy Servers
Proxy acts as a middleman of two or more parties, preventing unauthorized parties from accessing your information and preserving anonymity. Setting up proxy servers helps safeguard your data and control resource or location access.
It acts as a virtual security guard for you and offers other benefits, including
- Bypass Censorship - Users can access websites a government or workplace may block.
- Improve Online Security - Increases web browsing security by encrypting data and concealing IP addresses.
- Enhance Performance - Speeds internet connection by caching frequently visited websites and reducing server data transmission to devices, improving internet speed.
- Block Malicious Content - Filters out malicious traffic and protects networks from malicious actors.
Helpful Articles: To know more about Proxy servers, check out Techjury’s articles on Proxy Server vs. Packet Filtering Firewall: A Closer Look At Your Network Security and Beware: Are Free Proxies Safe?
Now that you understand how to use proxy servers, learn to access them by following these instructions.
Accessing the Windows 10 Proxy Settings
Browsers utilize the proxy settings configured on the computer. However, each browser has a settings page where you can configure proxy settings manually.
Windows provides two methods for locating proxy settings: the Settings app of Windows 10 and the Control Panel.
Learn how to access this by reading the following.
Using the Windows Settings App to find Proxy Setting
Windows 10 has made setting their OS's proxy settings relatively easy. Here's how to do so.
1. Tap the Start button, then select Settings on the far left.
2. Select Network & Internet from the Windows Settings menu.
3. In the left pane, select the Proxy option.
4. All settings related to configuring a proxy in Windows are available here. Two configurations are available: Automatic and Proxy Server configuration.
Using Windows Control Panel to find Proxy Settings
In all versions of Windows, the proxy settings are accessible through the Control Panel. Here are simple steps you can follow.
1. Go to the search box, type Control Panel, then select Open.
2. Select Network and Internet
3. Then Click Internet Options.
4. Go to Connections > LAN configurations within Internet Options.
All settings related to configuring a proxy in Windows are available here.
You can divide it into two configurations: Automatic and Proxy Server configuration.
Using Web Browser to Find Proxy Setting
Google Chrome can be used to access proxies, increasing security and anonymity. Here's how to do it:
1. Open Chrome, select Settings, and navigate to the menu.
2. Choose the System from the left-hand menu.
3. Access your computer's proxy settings by clicking on the link.
Note: Chrome lacks in-app proxy server settings, causing users to be redirected to the operating system's native proxy settings, affecting the entire system, not just the Chrome client.
Now that you know what to do, you can modify your proxy settings through these steps.
How to Change Windows 10 Proxy Settings
A proxy server is essential for companies or organizations to route internet traffic on Windows 10 when connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Depending on how you configure the proxy server, you will need one or more of the following to use it:
- Automatically - Windows detects the proxy server settings automatically, eliminating the need for manual entry.
- Set up script - If proxy settings are not automatically detected, you must know the location of your organization's proxy configuration script.
- Manually - Optionally, you must also know the proxy server's IP address and port.
Now let’s see exactly how to change proxy settings in Windows 10.
Setting up Proxy using Automatic Configuration Script
By default, Windows 10 can detect proxy settings automatically. However, if linked to the corporate network at your place of employment, this may not function.
To set up a proxy, you must enter the script address given to you by your network administrator or IT department.
Pro Tip: Proxy server setup script addresses, such as http://my.proxy.server:8000/, are similar to website addresses or URLs.
To configure a proxy using an automatic configuration script, follow these steps:
1. Open Settings.
2. Select Network & Internet from the menu- Displays a list of network and Internet-related parameters.
3. Select Proxy, and the available proxy parameters are displayed.
4. Use Setup Script must be enabled in the Automatic Proxy Setup section.
5. Enter the script address exactly as provided, then select Save.
6. Exit Settings.
Setting up Proxy using Manual Network Configuration
Manually entering a proxy's IP address and port number is another technique to set a proxy. Similar to any other machine on the network.
Pro Tip: A proxy server’s address might be similar to sets of numbers codes like this 192.168.1.211. Any combination of up to four digits may make up the port, depending on how its administrator established it; it might be any digits such as 80 or 8080
Here is how to manually set a proxy in Windows 10:
1. Open Settings.
2. Select Network & Internet from the menu.
3. Displays a list of network and Internet-related parameters.
4. Select Proxy.
5. The available proxy parameters are displayed.
6. Set the Use a Proxy Server On in the Manual Proxy Setup section.
7. Type the IP address in the Address field.
8. Type the port in the Port field.
9. Click Save, followed by closing the Settings window.
Reset Windows 10 Proxy Setting using the Web Browser.
When you go online, configuring a proxy in your web browser adds a layer of privacy and security.
This guide will explain how to use proxy servers with Chrome and how to do so with proxy server managers.
Chrome's proxy settings can be configured as follows.
1. Launch Chrome.
2. Click on the Kebab menu icon beside the Google Chrome profile.
3. Click Settings > System.
4. Click Open your computer's proxy settings.
5. Utilize Internet Properties to configure a connection for your network type:
6. Enter your proxy server's address and port number.
7. To save your modifications, click OK.
If the actions above have slowed your computer, you can turn off the proxy server using the detailed methods below.
Disabling Proxy Settings on Windows 10
Proxy servers offer network advantages but has potential vulnerabilities, allowing hackers to access necessary data by infiltrating a single machine.
Read on if you don't need a proxy server and want to remove settings from your Windows 10 computer.
Disable the Windows proxy setting through Control Panel.
Here's how to disable your proxy settings in Windows 10's Settings:
1. Click Settings and select Network and Security.
2. Select Internet Options.
3. Select LAN settings under the Connections tab in the Internet Properties window.
4. In the LAN settings window, uncheck the boxes labeled Automatically detect settings and Use a proxy server for your LAN. Click the OK button to continue.
5. Clicking Apply and OK will close the Internet Properties window.
By now, you should be familiar with the numerous Windows 10 proxy configuration options. The easiest way to do it is via the Windows 10 Settings app. Control Panel is also an option if you’re on an older OS.
Setting up a proxy server can have advantages, whether for extra security or conserving bandwidth. Whatever your reason may be, rest assured Windows has you covered.
Should configure proxy be off or automatic?
It's preferable to leave it on if you wish to change your IP and utilize an anonymous proxy server. If not, turn it off, as it may increase data usage and decrease internet speed.
Do proxy servers increase speed?
Proxy servers can boost internet speeds and conserve user bandwidth by caching frequently-visited web pages and files, compressing traffic, and blocking website adverts.
How do I know if my proxy is working on Windows 10?
An IP tester is the primary method for testing proxies. It shows your IP address and location. IP and location may differ, indicating a successful connection through a proxy server.
How many proxies should I use?
Web scraping and social media automation need multiple proxies. On the contrary, one proxy is ideal for sneaker bots.
Your email address will not be published.