Last Updated: March 18, 2021
Game lovers all over the world, this one’s for you!
It’s a well-known fact that gamers are always on the lookout for the newest and most advanced game-related equipment, news, and technology.
You’ve come to the right place!
We have prepared a comprehensive article regarding Xbox facts and related stats, and here they are.
Let’s have a sneak peek at some interesting facts and stats first.
Fascinating Xbox Facts and Statistics
- 2.5 billion is the number of gamers on a global scale.
- In 2019, the gaming industry generated $152.1 billion.
- Gaming consoles contributed about 39% of the entire gaming revenue.
- 65% of US adults love playing video games.
- Xbox Live reached 65 million users monthly in 2020.
- Xbox One sales amounted to 51.51 million units in 2020.
- Xbox Series X will be released on the 26th of November 2020
General Xbox Facts and Statistics
What’s gaming like in 2020? What’s new with the Xbox? What do we expect to see in 2020? See below.
1. 2020 has seen a 75% increase in gaming.
(Source: Verizon & Polygon)
Because of the coronavirus pandemic, more and more people are spending their time indoors. Gaming has been on the rise in March as people look for ways to kill boredom.
However, according to Xbox Live facts, some users experienced an outage as of March 16th, 2020.
Maybe the problem could be due to millions of people logging in at once?
2. PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X to come out by 2020 holidays.
We’ve all been eagerly waiting for the release of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X! According to Xbox facts, 2020 is the year we will be finally holding them in our hands.
Are you just as excited as we are?
3. Xbox Live reached 65 million users monthly.
According to facts about the Xbox, Xbox Live reached a record of the highest users yet by 2019’s fourth quarter. The figure was a 25 million increase from 2016. Back then, there were only 40 million Xbox live users.
4. Xbox One now has three voice search assistants as of 2020.
Community feedback is essential. We all know that.
So, Microsoft has listened to you all! They incorporated Google Assistant to help you interact with your voice commands better. Xbox voice commands usage statistics show that you now have three options to choose from, including existing voice software like Alexa and Cortana.
Xbox Facts and History
Here are some interesting data and facts regarding the history of the Xbox.
5. The idea of creating an Xbox began in 1998.
(Source: Digital Trends)
According to original Xbox facts, four gentlemen – Kevin Bachus, Ted Hase, Otto Berkes, and Seamus Blackley – came up with the idea of creating Microsoft’s first console game.
The four pitched the idea to Bill Gates, and thankfully he accepted their proposal. And here we are today.
6. It took Microsoft just 20 months to launch the Xbox.
(Source: Venture Beat)
Imagine the process of launching a product. You think of years and years of feasibility studies, conceptualization, design, all the way to implementation and launch.
Well, not for Microsoft.
Everything from start to finish took under two years. Xbox game stats show that during the very first season after creation, the company sold 1.5 million units.
7. The first season following Xbox’s launch earned Microsoft $750 million.
(Source: Venture Beat)
The Xbox was such a hit with game players during its early days. Xbox facts and statistics show that by the fourth year, the company had already sold 21 million units!
8. Microsoft only sold 123,000 units the first week after release in Japan.
(Source: Digital Trends)
The reception of the Xbox in Japan wasn’t as great as it was in the US.
To turn things around, the company slashed the prices in half. And it worked! More and more people from the region started purchasing the units.
Xbox Sales Statistics
Is gaming worth it revenue-wise in 2020 and beyond? Let’s find out!
9. In 2019, the gaming industry generated $152.1 billion.
The gaming industry has vast potential revenue-wise. According to Xbox statistics, the gaming market share increased by 9.6% in 2019.
In 2018, the industry also saw a 10% increase compared to 2017 figures. From the look of things, the trend is likely to keep going in the coming years.
10. Gaming consoles contributed about 39% of the entire gaming revenue in 2019.
According to Xbox game facts, almost a quarter of gaming revenue came from game consoles. Projections show that console gaming use is likely to surpass that of smartphone gaming in the coming years.
11. Sales for Xbox One amounted to 51.51 million units in 2020.
According to Xbox One sales statistics, the console is doing great in the market. Comparing 2020 and 2017 Xbox One sales figures, the data shows an increase of 21.11 million.
12. By 2017, Xbox 360 had sold 85.8 million units.
Microsoft launched Xbox 360 in 2005. Xbox 360 facts show that the Xbox One predecessor sold close to 86 million units by the end of its shelf life in 2017.
13. As of 2019, Xbox Live had 64 million users per month.
According to Xbox Live stats, the client base increased by 8% from 2018.
With new users comes a revenue increase. Xbox Live also saw a 12% increase in revenue that same year.
Xbox User Statistics
Who is buying the Xbox? Read on to see which gender and age groups like it more.
14. 2.5 billion is the number of gamers on a global scale.
Close to three billion people around the globe are into gaming. To be more specific, Xbox stats show that one in every three people is a video game lover.
15. 65% of US adults love playing video games.
If you thought video games were only a hit with teenagers, then you’re wrong.
According to Xbox statistics, more than half of American adults enjoy playing video games.
16. Women account for 46% of US gamers.
Women love their games!
Almost half of all gamers in the US are women. According to Xbox One statistics, the percentage of women gamers in 2019 increased by 8%, compared to 2006. Back then, only 38% of women indulged.
17. The US is the leading game market in the world.
Are you wondering what country has the most prominent gaming market? As of 2019, the US raked in about $36.87 billion in gaming. This makes it the leader in this category, according to the United States Xbox One statistics.
18. Xbox Live is available in 50 countries.
People love it when they can track gaming achievements and scores.
According to Xbox Live user statistics, the technology is available in several countries. It’s scattered across continents like Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Asia, Middle East, and Europe.
19. 56% of Xbox One users are married or in a relationship.
(Source: Microsoft Central)
Gaming is a common way to spend some alone time.
The stats show that over half of all players are married or living with a boyfriend/girlfriend. Gaming allows them to get rid of tension and thus, avoid family issues.
Xbox Games Facts and Statistics
Here are additional facts and stats just for you:
20. In 2017, the value of free Xbox Live video games was $850.
What better way to motivate players than to give them tokens for excellent performance?
According to Xbox live statistics, Microsoft offered almost $1000 to players with Gold.
21. Since the Xbox Live launch, players had spent around 1. 5 billion hours by 2006.
The Xbox Live was an instant hit from the word go. Microsoft launched Xbox Live in 2002. By 2006, users had already spent an equivalent of 200,000 years or 65 million days playing games.
22. The most powerful console on the globe is the Xbox One X.
Are you looking for a powerful console?
Worry not, we’ve got you!
According to Xbox One X statistics, the console has 40% power compared to any other console.
23. The Xbox One X has a 6 teraflop GPU.
If you like top-notch virtual reality, this might be the machine for you. According to Xbox One X stats, the console enables characters to become as real as humanly possible with 4k environments.
24. Xbox One S weighs about 4kgs.
If you’re looking for a lighter console, the S model might be the best option for you. Xbox One S stats show that it weighs about 4kgs. In comparison, the 1TB models weigh about 4.2Kgs.
25. Xbox One only had 20 million unsold units in 2016.
It looks like Xbox One had more units sold, than Play Station.
During the same year, the PS3 had 43.5 million unsold units in stock.
Xbox Series X Price, Specs, and Release Date
We’ve all been waiting and speculation about the Xbox X Series. Which gamer hasn’t?
We’re always hunting for the latest gaming information! So, we’ve researched the price, release date, and specifications to share the latest data about the new Xbox.
26. Microsoft will release Xbox Series X during the 2020 holidays.
During the 2019 Game Awards, Microsoft showed off its new beauty. And we can’t wait to have it!
Yeah, we’ve all been waiting in anticipation. Luckily, the holiday season is just around the corner, with about six months to go.
According to the Xbox Series X release date, D-day will be the 26th of November 2020.
Did you start writing that letter to Santa yet?
27. Xbox Series X also goes by the name Xbox Project Scarlet.
The next time you hear someone mention Xbox Project Scarlet, don’t be confused. That’s just another name for the Xbox Series X.
28. Xbox Series X will probably be cheaper than the Xbox One.
Ok, we’ve all been wondering about the Xbox series X price.
No one for sure knows the exact price.
Going by what Phil Spencer, Xbox’s Head said in an interview, we’re likely to see a price reduction.
In the interview with The Verge, Spencer said that this time around, Microsoft does not plan on losing the price wars. If you remember, the Xbox One was a couple of dollars higher than other consoles.
It looks like the company learned a pricing lesson from Xbox Series X predecessors’ pricing.
Fantastic news for the rest of us!
29. Microsoft’s next generation of consoles will be a force to reckon with going by the Xbox Series X spec.
The console game lovers have been waiting for this. And Microsoft does not disappoint!
Here are some Xbox Series X specs:
- 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.8GHz in CPU
- 52 CUs at Custom RDNA 2, 1.825GHz (GPU)
- 16 GB GDDR6 memory
- 8K resolution
- 1TB custom NVMe SSD in storage space
- 120 fps support
- 4K UHD Blu-ray optical drive
- Xbox One accessories compatibility
30. Expect a controller with a refined shape and size.
It looks like Microsoft isn’t playing this time around.
Xbox Series X controller will allow you to share screenshots with your friends and family. The wireless controller will also be more responsive and accurate.
31. The Xbox Series X design will not look like previous consoles.
The new Xbox console features an upright tower design.
Is there more?
Players will be able to place the console either vertically or horizontally. Also, the console comes with a small disc drive.
Xbox Fun Facts
Here is some fun news about the Xbox.
32. Megan Fox and Mila Kunis are top celebrity gamers.
Who thought these two Hollywood beauty queens have such an unexpected hobby?
Well, according to Xbox facts, Aisha Tyler and Olivia Munn are also avid girl gamers.
What about the men?
Justin Theroux, Jerry O’Connell, and Jason Bateman are just a few of the male celebrities that play video games during their spare time.
33. With the 2020 launch, the Xbox Series X will compete with PS5.
When giants compete, then you know that they’re likely to produce the absolute best. Xbox facts for 2020 show that this console war is one that you’ll love.
The new Xbox Series X promises the best functionality and capabilities, as we covered earlier in the specs section.
34. There are about 12 games that will come with the new Microsoft console.
We may not know what PS5 plans to launch in the games arena. However, Xbox statistics 2020 shows that the Xbox Series X will have a lot to offer game lovers.
Some examples here include, but not limited to:
- Halo Infinite
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Battlefield 6
- Gears 5
- Death loop.
35. Free to play games bring in over 85% of gaming revenue.
You might imagine that pay-to-play gaming might bring the industry more money.
However, Xbox stats for 2020 show that most of the revenue comes from free games, and that’s good news for us players.
People have always loved transporting themselves into different worlds. Books, movies, you name it.
Games have uncovered a whole new world for us. And it shows!
Xbox facts show that the gaming arena is more in demand now than ever before. Companies like Microsoft are at the forefront of creating more interactive games using innovative technologies, and we expect to see more masterpieces in the future.
So. What’s your fav game?