15 Eye-Opening SoundCloud Statistics To Know in 2022
Updated · May 13, 2022
SoundCloud is a powerful tool that allows previously-unknown music artists to obtain massive exposure, sometimes overnight. And unlike iTunes or Spotify, this open platform allows anyone to listen for free and upload tracks, so long as they own the rights.
SoundCloud is a fascinating concept and has a growing community. This post explores some of the most interesting SoundCloud statistics and why they matter.
Interesting SoundCloud Statistics
Here are some interesting SoundCloud stats right off the bat:
- SoundCloud has more than 76 million registered account users
- The open-source platform attracts more than 175 million listeners each month
- More than 28% of SoundCloud listeners are in the US
- SoundCloud hosts more than 25 million independent artists
- SoundCloud has 200 million tracks in its library, while Spotify has 250 million
SoundCloud is a significant player in the music streaming space. Plus, it allows you to discover music styles and artists you never knew existed.
Like the multitude of artists vying for your attention, here are several interesting stats.
General SoundCloud Facts
Are you ready to discover SoundCloud stats? Let's dive in.
1. SoundCloud has over 200 million tracks in its library
In 2016, SoundCloud announced it hosted more than 125 million tracks across all subscription tiers. That figure is now 200 million and counting, compared to 45 million for Apple music.
2. SoundCloud attracts more than 175 million unique users each month
(Business Of Apps)
The platform’s user base expanded rapidly after 2010. Starting at around 100 million monthly users, it grew to more than 275 million by 2014 before falling back to its current level today. Despite these impressive figures, SoundCloud only achieved its first profitable quarter in 2020.
3. SoundCloud users make 13.6 million searches per month on the platform
SoundCloud is a highly active platform. Users make over 13 million searches each month to find notable tracks.
4. In 2020, SoundCloud announced that it made $15 million available to help musicians during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic
Not wanting the music industry to crash during the COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders, the platform offered artists millions of dollars and additional initiatives to help boost their long-term careers.
5. SoundCloud may be worth more than $700 million today
How much is SoundCloud worth? Despite being founded only in 2007, the audio platform is now valued at more than $700 million. However, it is still significantly less valuable than Spotify at around $30 billion and Pandora radio’s market cap of $2.68 billion.
6. SoundCloud hosts more than 25 million independent artists on its platform
(Business Of Apps)
SoundCloud is the gift that keeps on giving to artists who want to get their careers off the ground.
SoundCloud Revenue Stats
SoundCloud recently became a profitable company. Here are some stats for SoundCloud that relate to the platform’s financial performance.
7. SoundCloud’s revenues were $218 million in 2020
(Music Business Worldwide)
SoundCloud growth is continuing, with revenues in 2020 up 37% year-on-year versus 2019. For comparison, the company’s 2017 revenue was $127 million.
8. SoundCloud’s revenues were just $25 million in 2016
(Business of Apps)
In 2016, SoundCloud generated only $25 million, and the company was not profitable. It later increased revenues to $166 million in only three years. However, expenses still outpaced income.
9. SoundCloud received a bailout worth $169.5 million in 2017 to prevent bankruptcy
In 2017, SoundCloud earnings were in bad shape. However, New York City-based investment bank Raine raised more than $169.5 million with the help of Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, Temasek, to keep the company afloat.
SoundCloud Market Share
Let’s take a look at how SoundCloud measures up to other streaming services:
10. SoundCloud saw a 31% increase in ad revenue in 2020
(Music In Africa)
In 2020, total revenues at SoundCloud dramatically exceeded the company’s expectations. That same year, gross profit margins were up by more than 53 percent.
11. SoundCloud Had 34.2 million monthly users in March 2018, but only 15.31 by September 2019
SoundCloud was the fourth-largest US streaming service in March 2018, with 34.2 million monthly users, just behind Apple Music at 49.5 million, Spotify at 47.7 million, and Pandora Radio at 36.8 million. However, SoundCloud fell to seventh place only a year later, behind Amazon Music and Google Play Music, with less than 16 million active listeners.
12. SoundCloud has a 61.55% share of the audio player market
(Web Tech Survey)
And here are some statistics on SoundCloud Demographics.
13. 27.76% of traffic comes from the US
SoundCloud is dramatically more popular in the US than in any other country. Coming in second is the UK with 5.61% of listenership, Germany with 4.84%, and Canada with 3.40%.
14. Only 35% of SoundCloud’s audience is between the ages of 18 and 35
SoundCloud has a large older listenership which sets it apart from many other audio streaming services.
15. SoundCloud has more than 76 million registered account users
This is the official number, which includes the number of people who have accounts, not just those who listen without signing in.
SoundCloud is an exciting platform because it does things differently. Instead of following standard business models, it strives toward making human creativity more open-source.
SoundCloud statistics reveal that the platform allows access to all the music you could ever listen to from new artists. The downside is that you probably won’t be able to find your favorite tracks on it. And if you do, they will likely be remixes.
Even so, it’s good to have some choice, right?
Techjury.net's manager. Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.