11+ Eye-Opening Pandora Radio Statistics to Know in 2022
Updated · Nov 26, 2022
Pandora Radio is part of the SiriusXM corporation – the largest ad-sponsored streaming service in the US. The brand targets a broad array of consumers. It offers personalized music and podcast listening experiences via its Genome Project and Music Genome Project technology.
In this article, we take a look at some fascinating Pandora Radio statistics. You’ll learn more about the company’s revenues, its demographics, and some factors that explain its popularity.
Interesting Pandora Radio Statistics
Here’s a rundown of our most interesting Pandora Radio stats:
- Pandora now has more than 55 million monthly active listeners
- Pandora has over 250 million registered accounts
- Despite this, the Pandora paying subscribers number just 7.4 million globally
- The average Pandora user spends a whopping 2 hours and 15 minutes listening to music on the platform every day
- In 2016, the ad revenue of Pandora exceeded $1 billion for the first time in its history
- Pandora’s largest user demographic is people aged 25-34, an age group that makes up 28% of its user base
General Pandora Radio Facts
Now let’s check out some fascinating facts about Pandora Radio:
1. Pandora has over 250 million registered users.
Pandora Radio is tremendously popular, particularly in the US. Globally, more than a quarter-billion people have registered accounts with it.
2. Pandora has more than 55 million monthly active listeners.
The platform reached peak popularity in Q4 2014 when the number of Pandora Radio users topped 81.5 million. However, its listenership declined significantly and consistently between 2016 and 2021, with only 55 million active monthly listeners at the latest count.
3. Pandora has just 7.4 million paying customers.
Despite Pandora boasting more than 250 million accounts, only around 7.4 million people pay for the platform’s services. According to projections, that figure is unlikely to increase significantly in the following years, topping out at around 8 million by the middle of the present decade.
4. The average Pandora Radio user spends 2 hours and 15 minutes listening to music on the platform every day.
(Business of Apps)
Total streaming hours on the platform have risen from 0.9 billion in 2008 to more than 20 billion in 2017. However, as the number of active listeners drops, the total listening hours are also plateauing or even falling.
Pandora Revenue Stats
Now let’s take a look at some Pandora Radio stats related to revenue:
5. Pandora made more than $1.69 billion in revenue in 2020.
(Business of Apps)
Pandora’s revenue in 2020 marked an increase from 2018’s $1.56 billion. However, that’s still below its 2019 peak revenue of $1.72 billion.
6. Pandora profits were $938 million in 2019.
(Business of Apps)
Despite the impressive headline figure, 2019 was Pandora Radio’s first-ever profitable year after registering significant losses every year up to that point, including a $518 million loss in 2017. In 2020, the company made a more modest profit of $131 million.
7. In 2016, the advertising revenue of Pandora exceeded $1 billion for the first time.
The majority of revenue doesn’t come from Pandora registered subscribers. The number kept on growing in the following years, reaching more than $1.5 billion in 2021.
Pandora Market Share
Here are some Pandora Radio figures that provide further insight into the company’s market share:
8. 30% of Pandora music revenue comes from the US.
The United Kingdom provides the next biggest Pandora audience, accounting for 14% of the brand’s revenues, followed by Italy at 10%, and China, Australia, France, and Germany all at 5%. Denmark was responsible for just 0.16% of Pandora’s global revenues.
9. Pandora’s share of the global music streaming subscription market is less than 2%.
Pandora doesn’t feature in the top eight music streaming services globally, as measured by subscriber count. Leading the charge is Spotify with 31% of the pie, followed by Apple Music at 15%. Amazon Music and Tencent Music both come in at 13%, while YouTube Music holds 8%, and NetEase – 6%.
Finally, let’s take a look at the following Pandora Radio target market facts:
10. Pandora’s largest user demographic is people aged 25-34, an age group that makes up 28% of its user base.
Pandora Radio’s demographics reveal that the platform is the most popular among adults. The age group comprises 28% of its user base, compared to Spotify’s 29%.
11. Those aged 13 to 18 only comprise 11% of Pandora’s users.
For Spotify, the equivalent figure is 21%. Spotify is also popular among the 18 to 24 age demographic, comprising 26% of its user base, compared to Pandora’s 19%.
12. 59% of Pandora users are female.
Even though the gender gap is quite narrow, Pandora is still a platform mostly used by women.
The above Pandora radio facts reveal that the platform isn’t exactly a spent force. However, it’s feeling the pressure of competition from tech giants, such as Spotify and Apple. These Pandora Radio statistics make it clear that the music streaming service isn’t as popular as it once was. However, it’s still among the top companies as measured by active monthly users in the US., even if its subscribers lag behind.
Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.