Updated · Mar 28, 2023
17 Eye-Opening Zoom Statistics to Show How Big It Is in 2023
Updated · Feb 02, 2023
The need for video conferencing software is larger than ever. There’s no denying that the global pandemic changed how modern companies operate, and Zoom was at the heart of this.
One humble app quickly became the talk of the town, leading to millions of downloads in a very short amount of time. Today’s post will focus on some of the most impressive Zoom statistics out there, covering everything from general facts to revenue and usage.
Eye-Opening Zoom Statistics
Here’s a brief overview of the most intriguing stats we picked out:
- Zoom revenue is expected to reach between $4.370 billion and $4.380 billion in 2023.
- Zoom generated $4.09 billion in revenue in 2022, up from $2.65 billion in 2021.
- As of January 2023, Zoom was worth $20.81 billion.
- Zoom has 300 million users in meetings daily.
- 89% of zoom users use it for work meetings.
- 73.41 million downloads of the Zoom app were recorded worldwide in the first quarter of 2022.
- 509,800 companies were using Zoom in 2022.
- Among them, 2,725 companies contributed over $100,000 in revenue in 12 months.
- 45 billion minutes of webinars are hosted on the Zoom platform.
- Since 2019, Zoom usage has grown more than 30 times over.
- This has added up to around 3.3 trillion minutes of video conferencing per year.
General Facts about Zoom
Our first section goes over some of the general Zoom facts out there, such as how big the platform has become and how popular it is compared to its rivals.
1. Zoom market cap reached a peak of $158.99 billion in 2020.
During the height of the pandemic, Zoom peaked at a value of almost $159 billion. Since then, the number has dropped down back to $20.31 billion.
2. Zoom was one of the fastest-growing apps during the pandemic.
(Business of Apps)
Incredibly, Zoom saw some insane growth during 2020 and through to 2021. Meeting participants grew by 2900% over just one year, meaning that the popularity of Zoom was at an all-time high.
3. 62% of companies use three or more video calling platforms.
Zoom is still the most popular option, boasting far more active daily users than both Google Meet and Microsoft Teams. Cisco WebEx is also quite in demand, with over 324 million users signed up to the platform.
4. Zoom released more than 300 new features to the platform in 2019.
It’s almost as though they knew something was coming that would change the business forever! Of course, this was just pure luck, but it’s extremely interesting to look back and see that such significant changes and investments were made in the platform right before it experienced a boom.
Zoom Revenue Growth Stats
Naturally, you’re going to be interested in the numbers relating to how much money the app makes. So, here’s a section dedicated to that:
5. Zoom tripled its revenue in the fiscal year 2021.
In the fiscal year 2021, the company earned $2.65 billion. Incredibly, this was more than triple the amount they generated in 2020 ($622 million). Even more astounding is the fact that the 2020 revenue figure was still nearly double that of 2019 ($330.5 million).
6. Zoom increased its revenue by 55% in the fiscal year 2022.
The most recent Zoom annual revenue stats are from Zoom itself. In a post dedicated to investors, the company revealed earnings of $4.09 billion for the 2022 financial year. This was up 55% from 2021, showing the continued trend of revenue increasing year after year!
|Year||Revenue, in millions|
7. Zoom profit reached $1.38 billion in 2022 up from $672 million in 2021.
That's almost a 105% increase in profits in just one year. Since 2019 Zoom's profit is constantly growing.
|Year||Profit (loss), in millions|
8. As of January 13, 2023, Zoom net worth was $20.81B.
Over the past few years, Zoom's net worth has been falling. On October 12, 2020, Zoom's net worth reached its peak of $159.19 billion.
Zoom User Statistics
To get a real sense of the app’s user growth, we need to look at the stats focusing on the people on Zoom. So, here’s a look at data on its active users and much more:
9. Zoom has 300 million daily meeting participants.
This includes both free and paying users and is an increase of 2900% from December 2019, when zoom had 10 million daily meeting participants.
It’s important to note that daily meeting participants can be counted more than once. Therefore, you shouldn’t conclude that there are 300 million Zoom daily active users.
Zoom usage has increased rapidly in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic which made people use the platform to stay connected.
Zoom Daily Meeting Participants (2019 - 2020)
|Date||Zoom Daily Meeting Participants|
10. There are 12.92 million Zoom monthly active users on the platform.
(Apptopia via CNBC)
To avoid confusion, monthly active users are only counted once. So, the same person can log into their account and attend multiple Zoom meetings per day, meaning they contribute many times to the daily meeting participants stat. However, they still only count as one active user for the day/month.
11. 89% of people on Zoom use it for work.
To put this into context, 63% of Zoom’s daily active users turn to the platform for personal conversations with friends and family.
12. The majority of users heard about it through word-of-mouth.
Anyone with a background in marketing will know that this is one of the most inconceivable Zoom stats around. 67% of Zoom customers found out about the app through friends or colleagues, while only 6% discovered the platform through search engines. That’s shockingly low considering the dominant role search engines play in general business marketing.
13. 100 participants can join in zoom meetings for free.
The possible number of Zoom meeting participants depends on the account type. For the Enterprise plan, there can be 500 members.
|Account Type||Participant Limit|
|Basic (free)||100 participants|
|Add-ons||500 participants ; 1,000 Participants|
Zoom Usage Statistics
14. In 2022, 509,800 companies with more than 10 employees were using Zoom.
This is a huge increase from 2020 when Zoom was used by 81,900 companies with more than 10 employees.
15. In 2022, 2,725 companies, that contributed more than $100,000 in revenue in 12 months, were using Zoom.
There were only 641 such companies using Zoom in 2020. That's demonstrating the rapid adoption of Zoom among large businesses.
|Year||Zoom Customers with More Than 10 Employees||Zoom Customers Contributing Over $100,000|
How often is Zoom used? What are the current Zoom meeting statistics? You can find the answers to both of these questions – and more – below:
16. 45 billion minutes of webinars are hosted on Zoom per year.
Yes, you read that correctly. That’s a staggering number of minutes dedicated to webinars alone. No other video conferencing software can even come close to competing with figures like these.
But it gets even crazier when you look at video conferencing as well…
17. There are around 3.3 trillion minutes of video conferences on Zoom every year.
Webinars are more niche than video conferences, so it’s no surprise to see this number surpass the one before. What is surprising is just how many minutes are spent on Zoom annually.
18. In 2016, only 6 billion meeting minutes were on Zoom.
Such a fun stat to look at when you compare it to the previous one. It just goes to show that the growth of Zoom is absolutely off the charts. Sure, we’re looking at growth over a five/six-year period, but to go from 6 billion to 3.3 trillion is staggering.
19. Zoom video meeting minutes have grown 30 times since 2019.
The biggest rise in Zoom usage came from 2019 to 2020. During this period, we saw the video meetings minutes per year increase thirty times over.
20. Zoom was used by over 90,000 schools during the pandemic.
When the pandemic swept through the world at the start of 2020, many institutions and organizations had to adapt – including schools. Kids and teenagers could no longer attend their schools. So, a considerable part of the Zoom user growth came from educational institutions. 90,000 different schools turned to the platform for help. Zoom was used across 20 different countries, helping kids keep up with their education.
21. First-time downloads of the Zoom mobile app have grown by 728%.
Since March 2020, more and more people have been downloading the Zoom mobile app for the first time. This figure doesn’t include downloads from people who previously had the app, showing just how many people began using Zoom since the start of the pandemic.
That final stat is a great place to end things and wrap the whole article up. There’s simply no denying that Zoom flourished as a result of the global pandemic. When looking through all the different stats, you can clearly see patterns emerge during this period. Everything increased from 2020 onwards: Zoom users, revenue, profits – it has all snowballed since then.
As the world continues to adopt a remote-working approach, there’s every chance this is merely the beginning of more growth for Zoom as a platform.
How many users does Zoom have?
Zoom has over 300 million users in meetings every single day. It has over 500,000 business customers, with each one containing numerous users.
Which country uses Zoom the most?
The relevant Zoom statistics show that 34.15% of its web traffic comes from the United States, making it the most active country on the platform. India is second on the list with 5.85% of traffic.
How many Zoom meetings happen daily?
An exact figure is impossible to find until Zoom reveals it themselves. But, it’s safe to say that millions of meetings happen daily on this platform.
Deyan has been fascinated by technology his whole life. From the first Tetris game all the way to Falcon Heavy. Working for TechJury is like a dream come true, combining both his passions – writing and technology. In his free time (which is pretty scarce, thanks to his three kids), Deyan enjoys traveling and exploring new places. Always with a few chargers and a couple of gadgets in the backpack. He makes mean dizzying Island Paradise cocktails too.
Latest from Author
Your email address will not be published.
Updated · Mar 23, 2023
Updated · Mar 22, 2023
Updated · Mar 21, 2023