Josh Wardini is our AI and automation guy. He started his internet journey in sales and marketing, u... | See full bio
-> Published on: 28-01-2019-> V1 - User Suggested Edits: 15-06-2019
-> V2 - Yearly Overhaul: 08-01-2020
-> V3 - User Suggested Edits: 15-06-2020-> V4 - Yearly Overhaul: 03-01-2021-> V9 - User Suggested Edits: 15-06-2022-> V10 - Yearly Overhaul: 05-01-2023-> V11 - Expert Evaluation Edits: 12-02-2023-> V12 - User Suggested Edits: 11-06-2023-> Benefited Readers - 24,897 and Counting
101 Artificial Intelligence Statistics [Updated for 2023]
Updated · Jul 26, 2023
If I was asked to describe myself using just a few words, I’d go with digital marketing expert, ex... | See full bio
Do chatbots, robots, and digital assistants intrigue you?
What about automated vehicles and virtual assistants?
They’re all part of the world of artificial intelligence. AI is a field of computer science that focuses on the creation of a machine that can replicate human behavior.
The science fiction of yesterday quickly becomes reality. AI statistics surrounding the business and tech industries are changing. AI has already altered the way we think and interact with each other every day. Whether it’s in healthcare, education, or manufacturing, AI yields a great deal of success in nearly every industry.
Whether it’s AI’s effect on startups and investments, robotics, big data, virtual digital assistants, the full market overview, or voice search and recognition, the below stats will give you a better understanding of AI’s current state and its future scope.
Interesting AI Statistics for 2023
Here's a summary of interesting AI facts to kick-start us off:
- The global Artificial Intelligence market size was valued at $136.6 billion in 2022.
- The global AI market is projected to reach $1,811.8 billion by 2030.
- The AI market is projected to grow at CAGR of 38.0% from 2021 to 2030.
- The global AI adoption rate grew steadily and now is 35%, a four-point increase from 2021.
- There will be 8 billion AI-powered voice assistants by 2023.
- The highest number of Alexa’s inventory skills are accessible in the US – about 66.000 skills.
- Global GDP will grow by $15.7 trillion by 2030 thanks to AI.
- AI can increase business productivity by 40%.
- The number of AI startups grew 14 times over the last two decades.
- Investment in AI startups grew 6 times since 2000.
- Already 77% of the devices we use feature one form of AI or another.
To realize how close we are to outsourcing most of our activities to intelligent robots, check out the detailed infographic. We at TechJury enjoyed thoroughly preparing it; hopefully, you will find it amusing and useful too.
It focuses mostly on narrow AI but also shows the mesmerizing resources poured into the industry that might lead to the discovery of true intelligence one day in the not-so-distant future.
How Big is the AI Market Size?
1. In 2022, the worldwide artificial intelligence market size reached $136.6 billion.
(Source: Grand View Research)
It was a huge increase compared to the $93.5 billion market size in 2021. Artificial Intelligence is becoming more and more important in our lives and it's great to see the market size expanding.
AI Market Growth
The AI market is growing and will continue doing so in the future, as we'll see in the stats below.
2. Global AI market size is predicted to reach $1,811.8 billion by 2030, up from $136.6 billion in 2022 with a CAGR of 38.1%.
(Source: Grand View Research)
It is clear that AI technology is becoming very important in many industries and will continue to be a major driver of economic growth over the next decade.
3. 4IR will create $7 trillion in value by 2025.
AI will continue triggering a digital revolution. By 2025 this technology will be nearly $4 trillion in value.
4. By 2024, the global AI market will grow to over half a trillion US dollars.
Additionally, this study estimates that the global AI market will be worth more than $1.5 trillion by 2030.
5. AI will contribute to 26% of China's Gross Domestic Product in 2030.
AI usage statistics show that in 2030, about 26.1% of China's GDP will come from AI. The technology contribution to other global economies will be: North America at 14.5%, followed closely by the United Arab Emirates at 13.5%.
Below is the predicted AI market size growth from 2021 to 2030:
|Year||AI Market Size, in $US billions|
How Many Companies Use AI?
6. Nowadays, 77% of businesses are using or exploring AI.
Among them, 35% of companies are using AI and 42% of companies are exploring AI for its implementation in the future. AI usage is constantly growing it offers a number of advantages, such as improved accuracy, efficiency, and productivity in a wide variety of tasks.
|Year||Percentage of Companies Using AI||Percentage of Companies Exploring AI|
AI Adoption Statistics: Artificial Intelligence Growth
More and more companies are taking advantage of artificial intelligence. Let's have a look at more detailed statistics:
7. In 2022, large companies are twice as likely to use AI than small companies.
However, 41% of small companies are developing an AI strategy for the future.
8. Chinese and Indian companies have the highest levels of AI adoption at almost 60%.
This is more than twice as high as AI adoption in countries such as the US (25%), the UK (26%), Canada (28%), Australia (24%), etc.
9. In 2022, 53% of IT companies across the globe reported they have accelerated AI adoption for the last 2 years.
In 2021, there were only 43% of such companies.
10. 15% of enterprises are using AI, and 31% of them say that it is their agenda for the next 12 months.
This is one of the most important statistics about artificial intelligence. According to the survey, AI—its ability to deal with massive amounts of data—is one of the main drivers of the creative renaissance occurring within the business today.
11. The number of AI startups since 2000 has increased 14 times.
AI has been gathering momentum for nearly two decades now. Forbes data shows new AI companies have been launched 14 times more often since the turn of the century, while investments in AI startups have increased 6 times.
12. 72% of execs believe that AI will be the most significant business advantage of the future.
AI will increase labor productivity and optimize business efficiency by 67%, automate communication by 70%, and improve data analytics by 59%, according to AI predictions.
13. Informatica has an AI-influenced addition to its platform.
On May 16, 2017, Informatica, a data management firm, announced an AI addition to its data platform, Claire. The firm says that it will make it easy to find, use, and visualize data.
14. Accenture, an IT company, released its testing services for AI systems.
Powered by the “Teach and Test” methodology, these services will help companies monitor and measure the artificial intelligent products within their in-house systems.
15. 27% of executives say that their organization plans to invest in AI cybersecurity safeguards.
This is one of our most vital AI facts. You might plan to go slow on AI implementation, but with cyber attacks growing every day there’s no benefit in holding back.
The more AI systems you use in your organization, the easier it will be to defend from cyber attacks. There are some companies that are already building AI-enabled cloud-based threat lakes and more.
16. 40% of digital transformations and 100% of initiatives based on the internet of things will be supported by AI.
These AI stats for 2019 provided by IDC FutureScape presentations show that the above efforts and initiatives will all be supported by both artificial intelligence and cognitive abilities. There is a major transition happening right now, and 2019 will see several new developments in artificial intelligence.
AI Adoption by Industry
AI is likely to affect various industries in the future.
Let's find out how:
17. Financial services are the future of AI.
AI statistics predicted financial services companies to spend $11 billion on artificial intelligence in 2020.
Experts claim that it will be well-spent money since it will improve areas such as fraud prevention, improving user experience, and streamlining underwriting.
18. About 250 million cars were predicted to have an Internet connection by the end of 2020.
You might have heard that there could be driverless cars in the future. While this could be just speculation, internet-connected vehicles are already here with us.
We already have automobiles that can give real-time alerts regarding accidents using the net.
Experts predicted that internet-enabled vehicles would reach 250 million by the end of 2020.
19. Machine and asset maintenance in manufacturing takes 29% of AI automation.
According to AI stats in 2020, nearly 30% of AI adoption in manufacturing goes to maintenance. The technology senses when machines are about to fail and recommends a suitable time for repairs.
20. AI implementation in consumer packaged goods has led to a 20% reduction in forecast errors.
AI and machine learning statistics show that manufacturers are now using technology to predict demand. A lot of times, companies spend a lot of resources on advertising and activations.
Eventually, the orders end up being more or less than these companies had anticipated. AI has eliminated nearly a 1/4 of such mishaps in this industry.
21. 70% of manufacturers still haven't adopted digital operating systems.
A whopping three-quarters of manufacturers haven't brought the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) innovation to scale. However, 30% of companies using this digital innovation say that it has generated value in terms of relationships between customers and suppliers.
22. Automation could free up 10% of nursing activities by 2030.
(Source: EIT Health)
AI in medicine statistics shows that humans will still do 90% of nursing activities by 2030.
The surprising thing is that the World Health Organization (WHO)predicts that there will be a shortfall of 18.2 million healthcare workers during the same period.
It's either that nursing institutions are not producing the required number of qualified nurses, or AI will be the only way out.
AI in The Retail Industry
Technology is revolutionizing the retail world, and the following stats support that claim.
23. Global AI in the retail market is predicted to be valued at $31.18 billion in 2028.
(Source: Fortune Business Insights)
In 2021, AI in the retail market was valued at $4.84 billion and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 30.5% from 2021 to 2028.
24. In 2021, 73% of retailers planned to introduce AI to optimize their pricing.
AI in retail statistics shows that 3/4 of retailers will use artificial intelligence to determine prices. Without the systems, it's hard for sellers to know when to rise costs, for instance, when there's an increase in seasonal demand.
25. 75% of companies plan to use AI systems to eliminate fraud.
Money lost to fraudsters was predicted to reach $35 billion by 2020. AI efficiency statistics show that smart algorithms are great in reducing credit card fraud. Hence, 3/4 of retailers plan to adopt such technologies in the coming years.
26. With machine learning, Amazon reduced its “click to ship” time to 15 minutes, a 225% decrease.
According to McKinsey’s research into AI statistics, Amazon strategically acquired Kiva, a robotics company that automates the process of picking and packing in the warehouse. With Kiva, the average click-to-ship time is 15 minutes, which is a 225% improvement from where it was.
27. 87% of AI adopters said that they were using, or at least considering using, AI for sales forecasts and to improve their email marketing.
Statista conducted an online survey of 1,028 respondents in 2017 and found that 61% of them were planning to use AI for sales forecasting.
How Many Jobs Will AI Replace?
28. It is estimated that 85 million jobs worldwide could potentially be replaced by AI and other automation technologies by 2025.
(Source: World Economic Forum)
However, 97 million new jobs will be created. New roles may be created to manage and maintain the automation technology, as well as roles to manage the ethics, safety, and security associated with the technology.
AI Replacing Jobs and Employment Market
AI might replace most jobs in the coming years, but the big question is, are we ready for it?
29. Intelligent robots could replace 30% of the human workforce globally by 2030.
Experts predict that the adoption of automation will contribute to job losses in the coming years. By 2030, the labor force will have reduced by over 1/4 of what it was in 2017. This shift will be similar to that of the 1900s when Americans and Europeans moved away from agricultural labor.
30. AI will automate 16% of American jobs.
Forrester has forecasted a few of the major AI adoption statistics, saying that cognitive technologies like AI will also create a few jobs; however, even with that addition, automation will replace a net of 7% of US jobs by 2025.
31. 375 million people will have to switch careers by 2030.
According to AI technology statistics, robotics could replace about 800 million jobs, making about 30% of occupations extinct. With this significant shift, nearly 400 million people will have to adapt and change and careers.
32. 52% of experts believe that as much as automation will displace people from their careers, they will still innovate more jobs.
(Source: Pew Research Center)
It's not all bad guys...
The future does look gloomy, with almost a billion qualified people becoming unemployable.
However, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Experts have faith in human ingenuity to create more careers that won't require AI. Just like humanity rose after the industrial revolution, it also will after the AI takeover.
33. The current educational structures aren't ready for the effects of AI on employment in 2030 and beyond.
(Source: Pew Research Center)
Scary facts about artificial intelligence show that learning institutions are not preparing today's generation for the future. If we're to cope with automation in the coming decades, we need to equip ourselves with the right knowledge and skills. Therefore, the education sector needs to do more in this area.
Machine Learning and AI Stats
Machine learning is the core of artificial intelligence, and it's widely used in numerous industries.
34. Machine learning is predicted to grow by 48% in the automotive industry.
Both semi- and fully autonomous vehicles will rely entirely on AI systems. However, the impact will not be restricted to autonomous driving. Suppliers will also be able to use AI to personalize their cars and make them more convenient. With this, the compound annual growth could increase by 48.3%.
35. Google’s Machine Learning Program is 89% accurate.
With 89% accuracy, Google’s deep learning program is 15% more effective than pathologists.
36. In 2017, Netflix saved $1 billion by using machine learning.
Customers will give up on a search after 90 seconds, according to research conducted by Netflix, supported by other artificial intelligence statistics from 2017. With this in mind, Netflix implemented a working machine learning algorithm that now automatically recommends personalized movies and TV shows to subscribers.
Other big OTT services, like Amazon Prime and Hulu, are also using artificial intelligence to garner the 30-crucial seconds of user attention. In order to have a hold on it, video streaming providers are considering the viewing habits and patterns as key factors.
37. 36% of executives say that their primary goal for incorporating AI is to optimize internal business operations.
(Source: Harvard Business Review)
The project report on HBR says that AI can support three types of business capabilities: automating business processes, engaging with customers and employees, and gaining insights through data analysis.
38. 20% of C-suite uses machine learning.
A paper by McKinsey shows that 20% of C-level executives across ten countries consider machine learning to be a core part of their business.
Artificial Intelligence Usage Statistics for 2023
Okay, let's dive into the numbers, starting with the latest data.
39. AI technology can enhance business productivity by up to 40%.
(Source: Source: Accenture)
Accenture researched the impact of AI in 12 developed countries. The study revealed that it could double economic growth rates by 2035. AI will enable people to use their time efficiently, which will increase their productivity by 40%. This is especially true for global IT economics.
40. Businesses with more than 100,000 employees are more likely to have a strategy that implements AI.
Some AI stats published in MIT Sloan Management Review show that three-quarters of executives believe AI will enable their company to expand and many believe that it will allow their enterprise to gain a competitive advantage.
41. 47% of established organizations have a defined AI strategy for mobile.
Well, this is one of the best artificial intelligence stats from 2018 that every business owner needs to know. As a part of their marketing efforts, 47% of the more advanced enterprises have applied an AI strategy to their mobile apps; additionally, 84% use a personalized strategy.
42. 41% of consumers believe artificial intelligence will improve their lives in some way.
(Source: Strategy Analytics)
There’s no denying that artificial intelligence has also dominated the technological landscape. With that said, consumers in India and China are more likely to embrace this technology.
43. Only 33% of consumers think they’re already using AI platforms.
This is one of the more interesting AI facts; only 33% think that they use technology that features artificial intelligence. The actual number is, shockingly, much higher. In reality, 77% use an AI-powered service.
44. 84% of global business organizations believe that AI will give them a competitive advantage.
84% of business organizations will adopt AI because it gives them a competitive advantage over their rivals. That is the conclusion, according to a 2017 artificial intelligence Statista study.
45. Only 17% of email marketers planned on using artificial intelligence in 2018.
17% of in-company respondents and 21% of agencies planned to innovate with AI in 2018. However, after a number of studies, AI has already proven to be a prominent technology in the marketing medium. That's why the best email marketing tools are implementing AI to boost their efficiency.
46. The Washington Post’s “AI Writer” wrote more than 850 stories during the Rio Olympics.
(Source: The Washington Post)The Washington Post tried leveraging AI to report on key information during the 2016 Rio Olympics. They developed a writer, named Heliograf, who was used to generate multi-sentence updates to readers. It processed a combination of different data sources and then customized around 850 stories, depending on user requests.
How Many People Use Voice Assistants?
With helpers like Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant, AI and voice search go hand in hand. Let's check out the numbers that prove it.
47. 97% of mobile users are already using AI-powered voice assistants.
According to a study by IDAP, only 2% of iPhone owners have never used Siri, and only 4% of Android owners have never leveraged the power of OK Google. When it comes to usage, 51% use voice assistants in the car, 6% in public, and 1.3% at work.
48. More than 4 billion devices already work on AI-powered voice assistants.
More than 4 billion devices already have AI-powered assistants, and this number is set to reach 8.4 billion by 2024.
49. Nearly half of Americans use digital voice assistants.
(Source: Pew Research)
A 2017 Pew Research study showed that 46% of Americans use digital assistants to interact with their smartphones. Voice assistants are present on a diverse range of devices, so 42% of users have the tech on their smartphones, 14% of them use it on a computer or tablet, while 8% of them use it on a standalone device such as Amazon Echo or Google Home.
We can also see AI technologies in use by some CRM platforms. For instance, Salesforce and Zoho are offering virtual assistants to their customers.
How Many People Use Voice Search?
50. 40% of people use the voice search function at least once every day.
(Source: Location World)
With this percentage, it’s clear that the use of voice search is slowly becoming commonplace in people’s everyday lives.
51. 30% of web browsing and searches were done without a screen by the end of 2020.
Audio-centric technologies like Amazon Echo have access to dialogue-based information. According to the AI statistics provided by Gartner, the voice-first interaction will gain prominence in no time.
How Many Companies Use AI Chatbots?
52. 25% of travel and hospitality companies around the world have implemented chatbot technology to give users an easier way to ask general inquiries or complete bookings.
53. 23% of customer service organizations are using AI chatbots.
AI chatbots are becoming increasingly popular in customer service organizations due to their ability to provide quick and accurate responses to customer inquiries. According to the Salesforce report, 23% of customer service organizations already use AI chatbots to provide better customer service.
Chatbots and Artificial Intelligence Facts and Figures
The best chatbots are becoming more and more sophisticated and make use of AI and machine learning to provide a better user experience.
54. 85% of customers’ relationships with business enterprises will be managed without human involvement.
Currently, virtual assistants like Alexa and Siri have an excellent understanding of our language. They decipher the meaning of what humans say and, at times, make a judgment as well. With increasing innovation, these chatbots can also be used to automate even more responses to basic client queries.
55. 67% of people expect to use messaging apps to talk to a business, which makes chatbots quite significant.
(Source: Chatbots Magazine)
Live chat has taken over customer care. Chatbots are one of the simplest ways to solve a problem. They give consumers an immediate response, and this real-time exchange has changed consumers’ communication preferences.
56. 38% of consumers on a global level prefer to use chatbots.
(Source: Business Insider)
A survey of 5,000 consumers across six countries found that 38% rated their overall perception of chatbots as positive. 11% had a negative perception, while 51% gave a neutral statement.
AI Statistics - Infographic
It is already a fact, the AI engineer jobs available on Monster right now are thousands. Machine learning and voice recognition positions are getting equal traction.
Artificial intelligence will be everywhere in a few years. You’ll be able to find it in all kinds of devices, in the automotive and healthcare industries, and in education.
AI will impact on everything, even jobs. It’s expected that robots and machines will perform the majority of jobs currently done by humans, but this scenario shouldn’t happen for another 50 years.
The above-mentioned AI statistics all show how artificial intelligence influences our lives right now and how this influence will only expand in the future. AI devices will impact your work productivity, chatbots will provide incredible customer experience, and digital assistants will streamline all your daily activities. Even marketers will adopt effective artificial intelligence trends in order to reap the maximum ROI.
What are the three types of AI?
- Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI) - limited in abilities and experts refer to is as weak AI.
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)- at the same level as human capabilities and also goes by the name Deep AI.
- Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI) - Smarter than humans.
Where is AI used today?
- Real estate
What is the future of AI?
Who has the most advanced AI?
Your email address will not be published.